1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basswood is the Best Bass Wood... For Me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Oct 25, 2013.

1. I absolutely love the stuff. I really do- especially on Fenders. I've got an '86 MIJ Precision with an EMG P pickup and a basswood body, and that particular combination, along with the dead rounds I'm using, sounds glorious. The low end presence is phenomenal. Even when the tone is wide open, the bassiness is still there, along with this really great rubbery-wooden kind of sound. There's also a Youtube video hovering around () that compares Jazz basses of various origins and compositions, and the basswood one again has this tremendous woody sound to it that I just love.

(Disclaimer: Please don't string me up by my britches for my love of this wood! Of course, every wood has its place, I just happen to like this one in these two instances.)

So what do the sages of Talkbass have to say about the humble basswood? Yea? Nay? Sometimes? What say you? :D

2. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    I have a Squire that I've extensively upgraded with a new neck, pickups, bridge and electronics. I don't know if the body is basswood or something else very cheap but it sounds great and I get compliments on my tone.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Mad Love for my 'Crafted In Japan' Aerodyne Jazz! Nothing wrong with it's tone…it growls, it snarls, it purrs. Plus it has a very comfortable weight. (8.5lbs exactly) I really lucked out getting it for my first bass.

4. MM Bongos are basswood and hardly "cheap" instruments. I wouldn't make that assumption just because Squier uses it too.