Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Is basswood a good wood for a bass? What sort of tone does it produce? I found a basswood P-bass body on eBay that I'm thinking about buying.
  2. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Both my MTD Kingston 5 and my Ibanez SR885 are made of basswood.It's light and resonates well,but it's soft and dents easily.Also it;s not the prettiest wood around,which is why basses made with it are always painted.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my squier japan vintage is made of basswood. it is really light and it sounds so good. i like basswood a lot. it's true that it's a soft wood.
  4. I know is lightweght and has a very light color , it´s not very pretty as virtual ray said, and all instruments made of basswood i´ve seen are painted..

by the way, it´s name doesnt come from bass, it´s used for lots of guitars.. fenders for example..

I know nothing about the sound it produces, but it´s very common...

that´s all i know
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tonewise, it's reputation is warm, strong mids, round, good sustain. So, if you're looking for tone that digs into ears or is articulate, it's not your cup of tea.

My info on other aspects is the same as others have said - it's soft, dents easily, is painted (sometimes even has ugly green streaks), and it's cheap pricewise.