Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moelll, May 17, 2003.

1. moelll

Apr 25, 2003
    placentia, CA, USA
    i've always been wondering about basswood. i know that basswood is used on lower-end guitars and it is a light wood. but i would like to know about its resonance and did any american guitarmakers use basswood
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Carey Nordstrand is building a bass with a Basswood body and Cocobolo top. I guess just like any other type of wood, there are good and bad ones around. I just can't see Carey using a body wood that wasn't good.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    IME the basswood body basses Ive played lacked sustain and resonance. (compared to alder, ash, mahogony, poplar even)
  4. I've got an MTD Heir with a basswood/flamed maple body, and I've found no shortage of resonance or sustain. It is fairly light, but the maple makes it a bit heavier. It's also kind of soft.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Dean Edge 5 fretless is basswood and it's nice! Basswood is very light and does not sound as "rich" as most other woods.
    I kind of agree with this. As for sustain, that's tough for me to judge since it's my only fretless. The sustain is more than adequate for my needs. The shallower resonance makes for a kind of fretless "plunk" with flatwounds that sounds really nice to my ears. I like it.

Basswood is VERY light. If the bass does not have a very long upper horn you will have problems with neck dive. My Dean has a very long upper horn and is nicely balanced and light.
  6. Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    This bass has Flame Basswood. Tone is like contrabass.
  7. Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    This bass has Flame Basswood. Tone is like contrabass.
  8. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i agree with that last comment... i think basswood gets a very round woody tone, and is pretty good for emulating an upright tone. having said that, i can also get a great modern tone for fusion from my mtd heir with barts and aguilar obp3.

as for sustain, there are a lot of other very important factors involved, so i wouldn't worry about it too much.
  9. Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Forgot photo...