Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassy Ballads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassduder, Sep 6, 2001.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Can someone tell me some like love ballads or even ballads, with cool bass lines...thanks

2. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    'something' by The Beatles, on Abbey Road album

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I had to learn Leo Sayer's version of When I Need You for a wedding gig once. I was surprised by how much I actually liked the bass line.

4. I think that on SOMETHING it is Paul McCartney's best bass playing ever. I don't know a lot about bass, but the melody he created on that is about equal to George Harrison's own melody, even a non-bass player can hear that very beautiful bass playing by Paul. It's one of the reasons I picked up a bass so I could play that eventually.

5. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I think "Something" is one of the best lines EVER.

A nice easy one is "Wonderful Tonight" by Clapton.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    "Every Time You Go Away" by Paul Young has some absolutely killer fretless work by Pino Palladino.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had learn "Ascension" by Maxwell and "Heart to Heart" by Kenny Loggins for a wedding reception. I was pleasantly surprised by the basslines. Very good. Especially "Heart to Heart's".

8. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    I'm normally not to into ballads, but here are some examples that I can actually get into:

Jaco's haunting line on "A Remark You Made" with Weather Report is a masterpiece.

"If You Leave Me Now" with Pete Cetera of Chicago on bass (it's a pretty schlocky song but I can get into what old Pete's doin' on bass).

Flea's part to "Soul to Squeese" is pretty soulful.

"Cryin" with Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith is actually pretty charming; give it a chance.

I love Paul MacCartney's tongue and cheek line on "Need a Little Help From My Friend's" off of Seargent Pepper's.

I also really like most of Rocco Prestia's lines on Tower of Power ballads. Even though he's famous for sixteenth note bombast, his sensitive side is cool too.

9. drift away by dobie gray

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides Something, my favorite bass line in a ballad.

This is the song that convinced me that Flea is a real bass player, not just someone who slaps fairly well.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I agree. In my opinion, this is probably some of Flea's best work. The bassline sets the whole "mood" of the song, to me. Definitely good stuff.