Bassy Distortion??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassliks, Jun 27, 2001.

1. bassliks

Mar 17, 2000
    Someone Please Help:

I'm looking for a distortion pedal that has a good Bassy tone. All the pedals ive tried so far have had great distortion , but lack the bassy punch. Even after setting the EQ I still get a Treble Tone as soon as I click the pedal , Any Ideas??
  2. that new EH pedal in the BP new gear section seems worth looking into... also, try the reverend drivetrain (seperate bass and treble controls) and if you don't have an active bass, you could try either putting your distortion in the effects loop, or a seperate preamp, and crank the bass.
  3. It's hard to come across and costs quite a bit of money.. but the Zvex Wooly Mammoth is an awesome pedal.
  4. I have 2 pedals..

1) Korg AX1B
    2) DOD FX91 Bass overdrive

the DOD FX91 is a great pedal, it has nice overdrive, which you can turn from a little overdrive to brute mayhem :D
    The sound is great, because you can mix the distorted signal with the clean signal, keeping the bass in it. really great pedal.. costs about $ 100
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Agrees with Steamboat

The Wooly Mammoth has excellent bass repsonse and true bypass but will set you back $200
  6. JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    I was looking for the same thing..more an overdrive with bass, that responded to your dynamics..this is what you need? where your signal doesn't drop out and become a guitar?

There's a circuit that feeds the bass back in ..two pedals have this- the Pres. Depth Charge, and the Dredgetone Angler. the DC also gives you an octave up..but the DA does what you need..goes from a slightly overdriven B-15 sound ( i have one and know what this is) to a "my tubes b broken" thing..while allowing you to blend as much bass as you want. it's a handmade pedal that costs $115 shipped. the designer, john joseph, knows tone, and you can ask him about your particular goal for sound..he will also tell you flat out whether this is right for you, depending on what you are looking for. he can also do a mod that will give you a more modern od sound.
    Highly recommended.
  7. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Boss Hyper Fuzz was coo when I used it. Got a nice screwed up deep distortion from it. But most of the distortion I get now I just crank the gain to ten on my amp Or use my DOD BASS 30. Its hard to find a good bass distortion though.. I personally like the high treble one's but then again thats my own personal sound.
  8. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the fulltone bassdrive pedal gets rave reviews. i hear the sound described as being very smooth and very musical without loss of bass frequencies. plus it's true bypass.
  9. bassliks

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey Thanx for all the cool ideas , guys this will help , Cheers!!
  10. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Mesa Boogie V-twin guitar preamp... they rock! Anything with a tube in generally sounds good for bass.. at least to me.

I hated the boss, the ebs, dod, ibanez, fulltone, and the big muff.
  11. Don't forget about the small countries!

Crowther Audio's Prunes & Custard is a well-wicked fuzz for bass. Combination of env. filter and fuzz that's quite incredible. Also has a "low" switch that preserves the low end when really cranking the filter or drive controls (probably some kinda of high-pass filter).

~$280NZD = bugger-all in US$ for a handmade piece of class
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Hughes & Kettner Tube Man and Tube Factor are also worth checking out.

Tube Factor Info

Price: ca. 150$ here in Germany
  13. I am so in love with this box. It is like no other you will find. Sort of a crunchy, buzzy OD with something seriously subharmonic going on. You can do that Laswell thing where you turn it up quite high, then play very softly for a fantasticly HUGE dub tone. Maybe not so good for agressive quick stuff, this box definitely likes the slow, fat bass tones; drums sound great through it as well. I use it on my Warwick 5 strings for my prog-dub punk-jazz band. This honestly sounds like no other box you will ever hear, sort of a "wave-shaping" rather than a regular clipping. Does that make sense? I can get a lovely large moog tone with this. Great on bass guitar. Then there is this wacky "harmonic intermodulating" thing!? What is it, I don't know but it sho' is way coo. It ends up like a sort of envelope following sweep which is very touch sensitive; the main thing I love most of this box. You play softly and its very clear, dig in and the sweep builds and the buzzy OD kicks in. Very fun. I could use this box in lieu of my octaver, mutron and OD. It seems to cover that many bases IMO. interactive and fun.
  14. Plus, it's made in NZ! :D
  15. I like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI with the Drive control cranked up. You can then adjust the Presence and/or Treble to where you like it, so that you get a nice bass tone. Also, with using the parallel out, you can feed both a clean and a distorted signal, yeah baby!

16. Check out the Ampeg SVP-BSP, SUPER-MEGA COOL for fingerstylers. :cool: