1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bates Motel - Anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 2, 2013.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Anyone watching Bates Motel on A&E? It's a different spin on Norman Bate's life as a teenager and a bit of a back story. There have only been 3 episodes so far but I'm hooked on it.

2. Great show so far...............

Just wierd that it is set in modern times which completely clashes with the original story line.

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah, the date thing doesn't make too much sense, in parts they almost seem to be in the 50's and then they are in the present day.

But overall I'm liking it so far.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, I'm watching it and liking it so far as well.

5. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Yea, I'm really liking it. One of the better shows on cable.

6. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Really getting into season 2. Looks like Norman is really starting to loose it.

7. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    great show!!!...I think the mom is hot...is that weird?

8. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Not at all. Vera Farmiga is smokin hot

OldDog52 and Hues like this.
  9. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    This show is great. I was reluctant at first with the whole reboot thing, however, it's very well written and the acting is awesome.

It's funny how a "prequel" can really suck you in to these characters when you know what's going to happen later.

Too bad George Lucas didn't know how to do this with the Star Wars Prequels, but that's a totally separate topic.

10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Love the show! Funny thing is Norma Bates reminds me so much of someone I used to work with. I mean her looks, the way she talks, mood swings, mouthing off, etc. I can't watch the show without thinking of the parallels between Norma & this real person. :)

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

My wife and I met Norman. He was running a B & B in Glasgow, Scotland. It was raining when we arrived, and he put us in room 13. The entire room was mismatched plaid, which seems to be a Scottish affliction, not just a Norman thing. But, the shower was either ice cold or scalding, and it was in the corner of the room, not in a bathroom. So, one of us could stand guard, just in case. The experience was entirely creepy. Other than that Glasgow was a great place to visit for a couple days.

No, I'm not making this up. It isn't possible to make this up. There's no need to watch any TV show, since I know where Norman Bates now lives. And, he's still inviting guests in for the night.

GregC and Hues like this.
  12. Season 3 is on Netflix now. This show is pretty entertaining.

I'm not sure who's crazier yet... Norma, or Norman...

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Nah, she's still hotter than a $2 pistol.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fantastic show. Norman is back to being Norman!!

15. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Have it on TiVo, looking forward to catching up.

16. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Great great show! In a guilty pleasure kind of way.

17. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Good season finale!

18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Riveting story. My wife was sad when Norma died and said she'll miss her. Then she realized we will still see Norma all the time.

Vera is such a striking woman and a great actress. This role was the perfect role for her style. I have such a crush, difficult to look at anything else when she's onscreen.

OldDog52 likes this.
  19. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Vera Farmiga & Freddie Highmore deserve Emmy nominations for their work in Bates Motel.

96tbird likes this.
  20. I was watching in the beginning, but once it started to stray from the movie story, my interest faded. I like the thought at first, but I think they blew it when the writers took liberties imo. RTS