1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bathroom Remodeling

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by metron, Apr 22, 2009.

1. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    So after fixing drywall for the last 4 months I am finally done and moving on to the next project in my house remodel - the first of three bathrooms. :oops: I have already demoed the room down to studs and joists, installed new subfloor and underlayment, and the majority of the greenboard. Now I need to get a tub.

The one that was in there was original 1/2" cast iron from the early 60s. I got it out but it was a pig. :spit: I have read some about getting them reglazed but I think this thing might be more of a pain than anything. Now I need to choose a new one and I am a bit confused by all the brands and types of material available. I want something nice but don't want to break the bank on it.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with a similar situation? I am confined to a leftie 60x28x14 nominal size tub.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You got all the wallboard up before the tub?

-Mike

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    We just had 2 bathrooms redone (by contractors), one of which we put in a new tub. What you will find with new tubs is that they are lighter than the old ones and the regular tubs are much shallower. If you want to have any depth to the tub, you will need to get a soaking tub or one with extra jets in it. Many now are only 12" in depth, which works well for washing small children or pets, but if an adult wants a relaxing bath, they are just too shallow to be comfortable. We ended up getting an American Standard soaking tub which is a bit more expensive than standard, but not too bad, especially considering the total price of materials used in a bathroom. Ours is (I believe) 16" in depth. Another option is a sit-down tub, but these are very expensive and require modifications to the outflow pipes as well since these need to drain very quickly since you can't get out of the tub until they are empty (can't open the door). For the elderly, these are very nice tubs, but they can easily exceed $5,000 just for the tub.

4. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Yeah all of it except the tub walls. Did I screw something up?

Thanks for the info! I hadn't thought about depth at all. I guess the original one must be 12" deep because it was 14" at the lip. Is the American Standard you got one of the ones that are made out of what they call "Americast" material? I was wondering how sturdy that stuff is.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I believe it was Americast. It seems to be a very good tub, but I generally take showers so there is a limit to how much I can say about it. It does seem to be a very solid and sturdy fixture. Since we've only had it a short time, I really can't offer any more than their own advertising data on longevity, resistance to scratches, etc.

6. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I can't see photobucket stuff at work but let me guess... it's a zombie wrestling a shark? :D

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, you're good. I thought you had all of it up, including the tub walls.

-Mike

8. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Thanks again! Do you feel it flex at all when you stand in it? Also something I noticed when spec'ing a few of the tub sizes is that even the deeper ones have the same water depth to overflow of 9.5" as the shallower ones. Do you know if you have a deeper overflow?

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    hehe, no. (although that would be awesome) It's a motorized scuba submarine toy.

10. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Well I am a noob at this stuff but not that bad. ;)

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    The depth for overflow is certainly greater than 9.5 and I do not believe that this was special order. I believe it is called a soaking tub as opposed to standard. Also, I feel no flex when standing in the tub.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ugh. This is just reminding me that I need to remodel my bathrooms.

13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    It could be worse. Do you have to do a full kitchen and basement when you are done? ;):crying:

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh. I have to remodel my kitchen too. FML. :atoz:

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have some cork flooring to do here shortly, and then some painting. Nothing major inside right now. All my projects are outside this year. The wife wants a pergola thing-a-ma-jigger and a waterfall in the back yard.

-Mike

16. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    For me the outside projects are on hold for at least a year or two. My lawn is pretty shot right now. Well... except for the weed/crabgrass sections which seem to do really well no matter what. :rollno:

17. If anyone is interested I have a no hands method for peeling wallpaper.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    They say a true test of character is remodeling one or more rooms in the house.

19. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The tub faucet I have needs replacement too (outdated!) I have the mixer setup for a delta style. Any benefit to switching to separate hot/cold stems or just leave it as is?

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Tubs are really out of fashion around here, hardly anyone installs them anymore. The wood-heated outdoor barrel tubs are the latest craze, though :)

[​IMG]