Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Batman: The Animated Series Season 1

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by robb., Jul 30, 2004.

1. i guess i'm just a big dork. i really liked watching this show in high school when i got home from school. i ordered the first season on DVD for $35 from amazon, and it arrived last night.

there's a little feature on the first disc about how the series got made in the first place, and there's commentary on the first episode about different artistic and political ideas that they played with:

1. it was the first show with real guns being shot instead of "toy-like" lasers, and guys in parachutes jumping out of planes about to explode.

2. all the backgrounds were painted on black paper instead of white paper to keep everything dark.

the darkness of the show is what i really like, besides the obvious, characteristic backgrounds and neo-deco themes. when i watched it back in the day i liked it because it was unlike anything else on tv, especially for a cartoon, and it was very advanced and mature. and i appreciated that, for once, a cartoon wasn't afraid of being anything but wacky and funny for fear of scaring kids. i've always believed kids should be frightened and explore dark, scary themes. most of my favorite characters from childhood (or at least the ones i remember the most) are the freaky ones like the witch in sleeping beauty or large marge.

the theme music is really great, too...written by danny elfman. most of the soundtracks are excellent as well.

anyway, i haven't watched but the first episode before my wife started making fun of me for being excited about a cartoon. she didn't even like my argument that there's 10 and a half hours of content over four discs in the first season, so for $35, it's a lot less than the average movie.

any other fans around here? anyone see the mask of the phantasm full-length animated movie?

robb.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mask of the Phanstasm was an excellent picture.

And, for your pleasure, and in depth, informative, and loving analysis of Batman: The Animated series.

Animating Batman Pt. 1

Part 2

Part 3

3. nice. thanks.
    robb.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I would like to use this opportunity to point out that I have never once been to movie poop shoot . com , even after Jay and silent bob told me to go there.

5. congratulations. the article was cool. i guess i'm the only loser who actually likes batman: the animated series around here. except for maybe brendan, but i didn't want to put words in his mouth.

robb.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought Batman:the animated series was brilliant.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, I thought it was quite good as well. Didn't see as much of it as I would have liked, but it was probably the best celluloid treatment he's seen.

8. I liked it, not enough to buy the dvd though

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's called the internet. It's bounty is varied and plentiful.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I loved the animated Batman series, much more faithful to the character (or the particular aspects of the character I found attractive) than any of the films were. First episode I saw was Clayface's first appearance; looking back at them now as I'm older, they're not as intense and mature as I thought they were when I was 10 or so, but they're still better than 98% of the cartoons around today...or my childhood for that matter (even the ninja turtles have lost it, nothing but nostalgia).

I love cartoons and comics. I feel that I'm a mature person with tastes largely suitable to my respective age group, at least so people think until they see all my anime and piles of comics. Then they don't really know what to say.