1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Batt-o-meter hickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tobie, Mar 4, 2010.

1. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    Got mine in the mail yesterday. Nice little gadget for testing batteries outside of a device / instrument. I could not get it to work on any device by inserting the probe into the input/output jack of any device / instrument though. It either did not sense the insertion at all (and ended up doing a self-test), or displayed 'PL6' which indicates a dirty/faulty jack.

I've tried it on my bass (Ibby SR900), tuner and a battery driven mixer. It kind of inserts very easily (almost 'loosely') into most of the jacks (almost as if the probe is too thin).

I have not contacted the supplier yet as the manual states 'If you have tried both the output and the input of the device, and the test continues to fail, it may be that you have one of the few devices that does not work with the probe. Remove the battery and place it up to the external battery contacts to test it and verify that it is charged.' which is exactly what I wanted to avoid - I already have a multimeter for that purpose! :atoz:

Sending it back is out of the question as I will end up paying a lot more for the meter due to shipping fees from our continent to the States.

Did any of you have similar problems?

2. Maybe it's just defective. Have you tried it directly on a battery?

3. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    Yes, all 'external' tests were perfect. But that's the secondary reason for buying it. I'd like to test my bass' battery every time before a gig - without first removing it...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020