1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Batt-O-Meter: Results of a battery in my Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    So I'm a paranoid nut when it comes to gigging with active instruments. I write a blog completely for fun and got to check out the McMillen Batt-O-Meter.

I bought this Schecter used, kept the same battery in it. 4 months of casual playing (2 hours a week? Still prefer the P-bass for gigs) and well I'm going to start worrying less.

IMG_2663.

That's right 999 hours + (that is the max read out)

Just thought I'd share. Feel free to leave your cables plugged in, grab a Snickers, cuz it'll be awhile before you kill a 9volt battery in a bass.

If you want to see the rest of the review http://guitarvideochannel.com/blogs/archives/batt-o-meter

I'll remove the link if it's not cool, my main goal of this post is to say "Holy Schnikes 9-volts last long in a bass"

2. thats funny cause my aguilar obp-3 eats batterys within 2 weeks if left plugged in...you should never leave your insturment cable plugged into your bass, the battery will read that it should be on and you have a battery running all the time, which could explode(happened to me before)

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    I was talking in more of a if you're practicing for a few hours it is no big deal. I guess my original thought sounded pretty extreme. Leaving cables in overnight would be a bad idea.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The old Musicman manuals said the battery wouldn't die, it was only limited by shelf life.

5. Looking at this Batt-o-meter device made me wonder if I can just use a regular multimeter wired to a 1/4" plug to test the charge of the 2 batteries in my Growler. And what should I expect to read? 18V or 9V (not sure if they are in series or parallel) or something else (do the electronics in the pup reduce the voltage?)

Thanks.

6. I normally change mine at 6 months as a matter of course. They'll go lots longer, but I don't want any nasty surprises.

7. A plain old multimeter, all by itself, will not accurately show the condition of a battery because it places no load on the battery. There must be a load - even a tiny one - to get an accurate read.

Ken...

8. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    That's great question about the 18v instrument. I don't have any myself. I'll shoot the company an email.

9. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The 18v is two 9v batteries in series.

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A multimeter does present a tiny load to a battery, but it's too tiny.

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Note, the Batt-O-Meter is only for use with (1) 9V. Not a 18V (2x9V) system. The highest voltage the Batt-O-Meter can test is 10.23 volts. Not an issue with me because all my Sadowsky basses use a single 9V.

But it did not read correctly with my Tobias which was 18V.

12. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I've never used that particular device, but when I see any meter read out the max number it can read (like 999) I suspect it might be broken or otherwise not right. Seriously, the meter knows that the circuitry in this particular bass will consume a nine volt battery in 999+ years? And if it's good for six+ human lifetimes why bother building the meter? After all, you'll never need another battery, right?

Just for fun put a damn near dead battery in the bass and get another reading, please?

13. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    The 999 is hours not years..

14. I bet if I hooked that up to our wireless mics and in-ears, you would be able to see the thing count down like a doomsday clock!
    2 hours...20 minutes...you're screwed.

15. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Alright. Needed to find a dead battery. That's right, my parents keep everything. Any of you guys need lids to 20+ year old Tupperware? Let me quick post the photos on the blog so I can like them here.

16. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    That Battometer and other gadgets like it are just gimmicks. Every battery is different, as is every active bass. You'll learn what your particular bass' battery consumption habits are. If you're jamming in your garage it's no big deal if it dies mid-song. If you're performing for money you'll change it before every show, without exception. It's the only way to be sure.

17. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Here's the Schecter with a dead battery:
    Volts 7.5, Hours left 64 and Percentage of battery life (tested once battery was removed) 4%.

IMG_2670.

IMG_2673.

18. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Gimmicks? Why?? I don't think it takes rocket science to figure out the life of a battery. This is from the Batt-O-Meter web site in case no one look:

"Batt-O-Meter measures the Voltage and Current to let you know how many more hours the battery will work. A micro-processor within the unit allows the device to intelligently determine the different loads that can be put on the battery and calculate the power in hours remaining."

So far I've had zero issues. I use it to check my stomp boxes as well as my basses and it has been pretty accurate.

FYI, Roger Sadowsky sells these on his web site. And trust me, he does not sell items that are "gimmicks" on his site. Here is a quote from Roger Sadowsky,

"I was excited when I discovered the Batt-O-Meter because I had this idea myself about 10 years ago. I worked with 2 electronic designers over a 12 month period, but we could not solve the riddle of how to compensate for differences in circuit "load" that the meter would read at the jack. The Batt-O-Meter has a microproccessor which analyzes the load of the circuit to produce the correct battery reading. I have tested the accuracy of the Batt-O-Meter and find it to be excellent."

That is good enough for me!

19. I've left a cable in a bass over night,only to come back to find the battery dead. I'll continue to unplug.

20. Actually the purpose of the Batto meter is to keep FROM putting in new batteries by knowing what you have left. Thats it. Its just a measuring tool. It has nothing to do with the type of battery or bass. Not to mention, I gig fairly heavily (for money) and I dont change my battery before every show. Why when I can know how much juice I got left? Pretty cool gadget.