Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

batterey powered amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hateater, May 20, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Since I am going to yosemite, I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice (cheap) little batterey (sp?) powered amp... Does anyone here know of any?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think peavey make a really small battery powered thing. Check out the peavey web site for specs ect, because i wouldnt have a clue. :D

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ones designed for bass:

Pignose Hog 30
    Crate Taxi 50B

The Pignose is a lot cheaper than the Crate.

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for that guys

5. We had to play a 4-hour wedding gig, completely unplugged. US Park Service said no power allowed, so vocals and all instruments were unamplified.

My daughter's bassist loaned me her Epiphone dreadnought bass, but it was still too quiet to get close to the acoustic guitar. My guitar player brought along the tiniest amp I've ever seen. Two 9v batteries, and sized the same as three slices of bread. It had a 3" speaker in it. I dubbed this amp "Spike" for grins. I played the Epiphone an octave higher up and Spike handled it well enough so the bass could be heard with the acoustic guitar.

I'd like to find something a little bigger than Spike and use it to drive an 8" speaker in a tiny cabinet. Just loud enough for my bass to be heard against an acoustic guitar.