1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Batteries dying extremely fast???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by holycowcountry, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. holycowcountry


    Jun 10, 2007
    Just got my Peavey Cirrus Bolt-On a couple weeks ago and put fresh copper-tops in her (18v active). Last night during the end of our last set they went out on me. Pretty embarrassing...

    I've never had active electronics before, but we only played 5 gigs before this happened. Granted, we play 4 hours a night, but I remove the cord every 15min break. Is 20hrs all that standard alkalines handle in an active bass?

    I'm thinking maybe I should get 4 rechargeable 9Vs and swap them each gig, but they only "actually" run at 7.4V so I'm assuming it would have a negative effect on my tone.

    Please let me know if this is normal...I'm not looking forward to having a weekly battery "habit"
  2. I've played active basses since the late 70s, and no... I don't think its normal. My P bass with the EMG active pickup would be hell to change that often since the battery is under the pickguard.

    I usually get at least 6 months out of a battery in any of my Carvins or my Warwick. You might try the lithium battery, but I honestly think you have a problem in your electronics and should contact Peavey about it (assuming its under warranty). :bawl:
  3. It sounds like you have a partial short somewhere in the bass that is draining the batteries. The batteries in my Peaveys normally last for months of regular use.
  4. Your electronics may fail to switch off when unplugged.
  5. CentralCoastBass

    CentralCoastBass Guest

    Feb 4, 2004
    your problem is one of these two things:

    1. you are leaving your cable plugged in when not using your bass (the battery is turned ON when the cable is plugged in, and turned off when the cable is removed)

    2. The "battery On" wire has been switched to the "sleeve" terminal, and the ground is now on the "ring" lug of the stereo jack.( this would keep the battery constantly on, draining the battery prematurely)
  6. Maurice Carr

    Maurice Carr

    Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    That's unusual

    I have an 18V BTB which is renowned for "chewing batteries", yet I still get about 4 mths of solid gigging, so long as I am diligent about ALWAYS pulling the lead from the jack when not in use.

  7. Joe Nerve

    Joe Nerve Supporting Member

    Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Before doing anything dramatic I'd suggest just putting in new batteries. I've bought new batteries that for one reason or another were half dead out of the package. It happens.

    Somwhat related: Didn't know until about a year ago that not all 9 volt batteries are created equal - in size. They vary and some of them can be a real pain in the butt to get out my basses or tuner. Duracells seem the most consistent so I decided to just stick with them.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.