a bass??? how strange....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Aug 20, 2001.

1. hi

im probly gunna seem dumb now but:

iv seen a bass in the store and in haz a battery comparment on the back...whats that for? what does it do?? what are these kind of bass' called???

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How about a brief visit in the Pickups forum?

The short version:

It's an active bass.
    There are basses with passive pickups and additional active EQ and basses with active pickups and EQ.
    Active basically means that an electronic circuit needs a power supply, e.g. battery to work.
    If it works without one, it's called passive.

Active electronics have a EQ that can cut and boost frequencies, so you can shape the sound of your bass. Additionally the electronics (line buffer) changes the impedance of the bass signal from high to low impedance, which reduces signal loss in the instrument cable.

A passive EQ (e.g. tone blend on a Fender P or J) can only cut frequencies.
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Active Electronics, it means the pickups are powered by a battery. It usually comes with basses that have EQs on the basses.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, that doesn't seem strange at all - they've been around for over 20 years now - what does seem strange is writing in a clipped version of English to somehow sound "interesting".
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    More like 30 years...Alembic was in business by 1971.

If you really want to be anal, Gibson sold a version of the EB-0 with an onboard fuzz circuit in the early 60s.
    Vox sold basses with onboard effects (including a treble booster that almost qualifies as an active EQ) a few years later.
  6. Hmm, OT completly.

Bruce, are you an english teacher or a bass player? How many fights about the english language do you want to start on this forum? Aluminium ring a bell? Good god man :rolleyes:

U brits shore a funnee grup of peepel!

Oh, you're still bitter abou the whole "revolution" thing.. Well that trick back in the 50's trying to send over all your musicians, it worked for a while, but when you gave us Oasis we all just knew that you were just trying to drive us back out of YOUR country.. :eek: :rolleyes:

Lighten up! :cool:
  7. Methinks you should take your own advice, too. :rolleyes:
  8. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have no clue where that came from :confused:

From fighting to Oasis...well I guess thats a good fit, theyre always brawling.

I honestly cant hear a difference between my active Peavy and passive Fender. Maybe the Peavys battery is out...
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Then you would indeed hear a difference. It would either distort or be silent unless you bypass the active circuit with the aid of a switch of some sort.