Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Batteries in Active setup.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slapfish, Oct 14, 2002.

1. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I seem to have a problem with battery drain in my bass; it seems like every week or two I need to put a new 9-volt in my bass (a Carvin that I've had for about 6 years). This has never been a problem in the past, and after repeated visits to multiple shops in the area (including one that my guitar player says is "the only place I trust my guitar to), the problem persists. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the electronics are constantly "turned on", even when the bass is not plugged in. Is this possible, through some wiring error perhaps? I've never heard of this happening, but given everything that's gone wrong with it lately, I guess anything's possible...:rolleyes:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This could be totally off the wall, but my bass teacher has an older Carvin. He found that the batteries would drain like nuts if he left the active controls in boost mode. After he's done playing, he sets all the controls all the way down, and says that he doesn't have a problem anymore. I've never heard of anything like that, so, that that for what it's worth.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd take a close look at the jack. Carvin uses a separate set of contacts to switch the power on and off. It could just be that your jack has gotten fatigued with use. Or maybe some conductive debris has shorted it out.

A new jack is only a couple of bucks, if it turns out you really need one.

4. I had this problem recently too with my active electronics in the washburn. I still havent worked it out, everything seems to check out ok. I put it down to a series of crappy batteries.

My mum works at a hospital researching asthma, and one of the devices uses 9 volt batteries. So the drug company sent a whole box of like 50 or 60 9 volt batteries. The study finishes after 3 months and there's still half a box. Which was given to me.

Some of the batteries in the box lasted me 4 months without fail, others however only lasted 2 weeks. Completely crapped out to the point my sound was all distorted.

:D:D

Merls

Maybe try a better battery brand?

5. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Energizer Titanium! Longest lasting battery I have found for Active Basses, wireless, or anything else for that matter. Going on 1 year for my bass, and a Titanium lasts 4-6 times longer in my wireless.

But it sounds like you have something draining your batteries, so you might contact washburn on that one.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My Cirrus sucked electricity as well. 18 volts of it. I always has extra batteries on hand. When they went, you got no sound--period. My Carvin was OK in this department.

7. How long do 9v batteries last? I play 10-15 hrs/wk. I have a Spector NS2005. Will my volume go down, or will it just stop playing all together?

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Carvin design their jacks so that when you plug in your jack it makes contact to connect the battery. Don't leave your bass plugged in. This contact tends to bend and stay contacted so the battery will drain even when unplugged. Take your back cover off and plug and unplug your bass a few times so you can see how it works. When the bass is unplugged the two metal tangs right next to each other are supposed to seperate. If they touch your battery will drain. YOu may need to gently bend the tang just enough to make it open when the bass is unplugged. I had this probelm with my Carvin bass. Bent the tang a little. Probelm solved. Good luck.:D

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you leave the lead in the input, that drains it, doesnt it?

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i have an ashton, and i have had it 6 months, and i have gone through one battery.

Id also like to know how you can tell if the battery goes flat

11. I'll merge this with the other battery thread.

Oh yeah Skidog, it seems you posted in this thread AND posted a new thread with the same question. Dont do that. ;)

All seems in order SIR!

:D:D

Merls

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    In the case of my Carvins, I change batteries when I can hear clipping (kind of a flatulent buzzing) on loud notes.

A fresh alkaline 9 V battery should last several hundred hours on the standard Carvin preamp with the 3-band EQ. The high-end alkalines (Energizer Titanium, Duracell Extra, etc.) might last a little longer, but IMHO not enough to justify the extra cost. A lithium battery (if you can find one that fits) should last about twice as long.

Of course, the battery doesn't know the difference between actual playing time and plugged-in time, so unplug that bad boy when you're not playing!

And one last tip: Every time I have used Ray-O-Vac alkaline AA batteries, they have leaked. I would not trust their batteries in a flashlight, let alone a musical instrument! GE/Sanyo alkalines seem to be the best bang-for-the-buck of the major brands.

13. My bass takes two 9 volt batteries. Why?

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    cuase it is an 18 volt preamp:eek:

15. Duh!!!! I mean is it better, worse, no diff.?

16. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    It is not a better or worse sort of thing. It gives you more tone control from your bass is how I guess I would put it. It is not that it "makes you a better bass player". ...... That takes practice! .......................................................... Dauhh:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

17. Ok thanks, I just woundered. I'll never forget the 1st time it died I went out and got a 9 volt, Opened it saw it took TWO 9 VOLTS. Had to wait 'till the next day to get another