Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

batteries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by monkeywrench, Oct 17, 2002.

1. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    i am just curious why some basses run on a battery and if there is any way to make my bass not run on batteries?

2. The battery powers an on board pre-amp. This gets your signal nice and hot which improves signal/noise ratio and usually tone.
    Yes you can make your bass run without batteries, but why? It's a good thing.

3. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    i figured it was a good thing, i am always worried it will die in the middle of a jam though, i guess i'll just keep a few extras w/ me

4. It will never just suddenly die. What happens is your tone just starts to really suck. You'll start tweaking knobs, wondering what's wrong with your playing, and then finally remember the battery. I still do this EVERY TIME. Always keep an extra battery (or two) in your gig bag.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Doesn't necessarily mean a hotter signal. What it does mean is a lower impedance signal. A signal that probably is extended in frequency range too; lower lows and higher highs. Good thing? Depends on the preamp! I'd take passive over the old Carvin pre's anyday!

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The battery will usually power a board that has tone controls (treble bass and maybe mid) that add as well as cut frequencies. One exception is in the case of EMG type pups where the tone is 'passive' and the pickups require the voltage to work (as Mr Half-life stated) at low impedance.

RE batteries dying. Most systems will allow a year of use (especially if you unplug the jack when not playing the bass).

To ease your mind you could either attach a sticker with a date on the battery or replace the batteries every Christmas and Independance Day giving you a margin for safety. Just my 2 pence