Battery "blew up" in my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Aug 1, 2009.

  1. Tony G

    Tony G Supporting Member

    Jan 20, 2006
    Just got back from a gig with my Nordy. A strange thing happened when I went to plug it in for sound check. With the preamp engaged, I got nothing. Ok, no big deal, I'll check the battery. Well, I can't get the battery door open. The 9v battery expanded in the compartment, with the bottom end bulging out. I've never had this happen before. I had to pry the compartment open with a screwdriver to get it out, and a new battery allowed the preamp to work just fine. However, I'm concerned. I have no idea why the battery "blew up" for lack of a better term. Nothing was oozing out of the battery, but the actual battery was all misshapen and distorted, kind of like when you put a can of soda in the freezer. Any thoughts on this?
  2. serein2j


    May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It usually happens when if it's a low quality battery and heated for some reason
  3. MichaelScott


    Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Switch to passive basses?

  4. I've seen this happen to other electric items. I think it's because of the quality of the battery. Sometimes leaving it in there for prolonged periods of time can also cause issues.

    I'd just say buy a better brand of battery
  5. rarbass


    Jul 3, 2008
    lol :D

    Um I can only think of drastic temperature change, or for a long period of time, but surely you would know about this...
  6. DerHoggz

    DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

    Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    You've never seen a corroded battery before?
  7. i had a mate who had smoke coming out of his control cavity! how freakin cool.?
    Passive fan here too im afraid, but i agree so far with the other posts.
  8. Demonator

    Demonator Guest

    Jun 14, 2009
    This is why i like passive.
  9. Batteries produce electricity by a chemical reaction, so they normally do this only if they are overheated. You may have a problem with the preamp that is causing excessive current draw on the battery.
  10. Tony G

    Tony G Supporting Member

    Jan 20, 2006
    Ah, thanks. I'll look into it.
  11. Tony G

    Tony G Supporting Member

    Jan 20, 2006
    It was a standard Duracell 9v, not a cheap off-brand battery. Is there a battery besides duracel or energizer that you would recommend?

    Yeah, I don't think this has happened. When not in use, I always keep my bass in it's case. I don't leave it in the car over night, always bringing it into the house after gigs and rehearsals.

    Not in the cavity of one of my basses before, no.

    Is Duracell a low quality battery? That's what I've been using for years and haven't had a problem yet. Is there something better I should be using?

    That's nice.
  12. I'm quite sure just the one battery you used was simply a lemon.
  13. ....yeah, because this happens all the time. BRB, gotta clean up asploded batteries in all of my basses. Forgot to do that yesterday.
  14. Duracell is decent quality, but nothing is perfect. I'd keep an eye on the new battery: it could be that the preamp is over-drawing but deformities indicate a LARGE over-draw.

    I'd guess a very old battery or you had the bad luck to get a bad Duracell.
  15. You like passive because of very rare events involving batteries?
  16. +1. Nothing wrong with Duracell, you just had a bad one.
    To be safe, maybe leave the cover off with the bass plugged in and check battery temp after a few minutes? But I guess if you were gonna have trouble again, it would already have happened.
    Any chance that something shorted the terminals together, like a stray piece of shielding tape?
  17. Jerry Ziarko

    Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Your battery most likely had an internal short. It's very rare even with cheap batteries. Duracells are fine, and truthfully, I wouldn't be that concerned.
  18. KeithPas


    May 16, 2000

    I agree with this, I think it was a defective battery. I would go int he control cavity and make sure there is no corrosion on any of the battery connections.
    Congrats to all of the passive bass fans that have contributed so far but it is rude to hijack this thread when someone is asking for help.
  19. You do realize that for the price of a battery, you could have had an SX bass, right? :p
  20. I had that happen to me with a brand new duracell. put it in my spector and a week later poof. You need to be vigilant with the products you buy during this economic meltdown. even the best of companies cut corners. :rollno: