1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Battery Box Troubleshooting. (Yamaha RBX 774)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VacantPlanets, Mar 27, 2013.

1. I didn't see the sticky and I posted this in the incorrect topic area earlier :scowl:

Ok, I need help figuring out what's wrong with my new (used) bass. I was tuning it with an electric tuner (I'm deaf in one ear, I can't pick up any tone, but more on that another day) And it wasn't picking anything up, so I plugged it into my amp, and again nothing, so I check the battery box and i see that the 9 volt doesn't seem to fit at all, it seems nothing is broken in it, is there A certain way i have more or less force it into place? I'll upload some pics so you guys here can see what I'm talking about.

Edit: I spoke with some people, and It reminded me of something, it's just like A R/C Remote that takes A 9 volt, those prongs inside need to pryed into a spring-like formation. But I'm not 100% on that, so I will wait for input from the experts on this forum.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    well, it looks like the contacts have been pushed beyond their elastic limit and crushed a bit.
    get a tiny allen key or something with an angle and prise them out about 1/8" and they should be fine

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    After doing that you might also consider a small piece of foam at the other end to keep the battery pushed against the contacts.

4. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy Guest

Dec 23, 2011
    Ontario
    Are those copper contacts cracked on the top where they are folded over ? Or is it a reflection in the picture?

5. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    I just zoom in to check, they're ok.

6. Yea sorry i didnt specify on the prongs, they arent cracked to my notice,(camera flash is on super high) and they dont show any folding creases either so i never thought anything of it, but yea you guys are correct, someone really slammed 'em flat, im takin both of my basses in monday to the local shop to get fixed up, but this one may need to be re-soldered due to a defect that yamaha made with the boost switch...

but in your opinions, ( look at the pics, i know they are not the best quality) due you think $200 was a good deal for this bass? http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.354817271286017.1073741825.100002732410093&type=3

Edit: 1 more thing, I bought this from guitar center on a total whim, I really took a gamble on it, and so far I'd say I did well, and yea, they put that battery in there, you think they would have known there was something wrong with that, but I guess it's really not their job to check those things out...

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    That is around the price most of them seem to be at. Yammies like that were on my short lost recently before I picked up the Ibanez.