1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery boxes -- love 'em, hate 'em or meh?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Low84, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Love 'em!

50.0%
  2. Hate 'em!

17.6%
  3. Meh... makes no difference to me if the battery is in there or somewhere else.

28.4%
  4. Thumbs up if I can I store carrots in them!

4.1%
  1. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Thoughts on pop-open battery boxes/compartments on bass guitars that hold the battery/batteries, especially when a bass already has a "swimming pool" compartment to house the other preamp and other electronics?

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.13.54 PM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Easy to get at...and you don't have to have a screwdriver with you...so me likey.

MrLenny1, dxb, Inara and 9 others like this.
  3. They look tacky and cheapen the vibe of an otherwise nice looking bass.

It's better to hide the batteries in the control cavity, if it's big enough for them. Some people get uppity about the inconvenience of taking the control plate off to change batteries, but you will be doing that no more than once a year.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Mine are noisy - intermittent contact when your belly presses on them :( . I haven't tried cleaning them yet.

BlueTalon likes this.
  5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Cool if it's screwdriverless but if it needs screws it might as well be in the main cavity. And yes it does look slightly worse having multiple black covers on the back of the bass...

BlueTalon likes this.
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Until this thread, it’s never once crossed my mind

dab12ax7ef, Geri O, Inara and 8 others like this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I won't buy a bass if I need a screwdriver to change the battery.

If you think how the back of the bass looks is more important than being able to change a battery in 10 seconds at a gig with no tools you have bizarre priorities.

8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Using a screwdriver to change a battery?! What are we?! Barbarians?!

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Exactly.

Though I do have one where the control cavity cover is made of matching wood and held on by magnets, with the battery inside. That's a nifty way to go.

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Me, too!

My other actives have separate compartments for the batteries that allow for easy access.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Magnets! What will they think of next?!

dukeorock likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think they're kind of cheesy, but I wouldn't run from them in revulsion.

BlueTalon likes this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have some - on pedals. None on my basses. But, if I were conviced I wanted a bass that needed one, ugliness would not be a deterent. So long as it's on the back. I'm forgiving of stuff on the back: holey bass.JPG

14. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I've never seen that.
    Cool.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a few chambered basses. This one doesn't have wood covering the chambers. The audience doesn't know anything is different, but my back does.

grinx likes this.
  16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    That's one way to shave off some weight. Basically you could go even further and remove all of the unused wood from the back leaving only the structure, a thin front and around the edges. Wow, you could end up with a 3-4 pound 4 string or a 6-7 pound 6 string. That would be sweet!:thumbsup:

17. Hate'em
    Twice had to fix the one in my Epiphone El Segundo

18. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I had to go with the carrots option, but in this case, I really think a little Rob Schnyder tribute was in order, and the fourth option should have been:
    "You can put your weed in it."

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't "love them", as I agree that they look pretty shabby, but they do make life easier, which gives them my vote.

I would also agree that the best option is a quick release main cavity cover in wood that matches the bass, but again, that is low on my list of priorities when choosing a bass.

20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I also prefer the main cavity for this, as there is far more space!! :D

maxmaroon and tedious1 like this.