Battery boxes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Hate'em

15 vote(s)
  2. I don't mind them.

82 vote(s)
  1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Battery boxes, Hate'em or don't mind them?
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It makes it easier to change the battery. I don't mind em.
  3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    a good portion of mine have them. I like the way that they open up the cavity, plus if the battery kicks out, you don't have to unscrew the cover.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont mind them at all, allthough since Im somewhat OCD about symetry and stuff, I prefer the postioning to be in a complimentaty place that doesnt distract from the lines of the bass too much, or mess with the look of the back in an odd way. Like on the one above, id prefer the battery comparment to be vertical and in line with the tone block/wings, rather than crossing over both and being horizontal like in the pic. I realize placement of the compartment is tricky to get something asthetically pleasing, while not making it too difficult to connect to the control cavity, but I think spending some time and putting it in a complimentary place, design wise, makes it look nicer and less like an afterthough of functionality. If that makes any sense at all. Pete Skjold used to put his close to the control cavity, which happened to cross the the centerline of the bass. I suggested he move it to be in the center of the back, and I think it looks much nicer that way.

Like this (I prefer this of the 2 examples):

Or this:

Forgive the quick and dirty photoshop...

And I really dig Sheldon Dingwall's earth magnet covers too :)
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Cliff, where's the "Don't want a bass without them" option???

^ My vote...
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My vote too. I have a couple of basses without them, requiring a screwdriver to change the battery. One night I got to a gig and the battery was dying - very low output and distorted. I discovered that I left my tool box at home. Luckily I had a backup bass. If that bass had a flip out battery compartment I could have played it that night.
  7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    There is so much pressure when posting a poll:crying:

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Prefer 'em.

Derailment time: To those who've done so, how hard is it to do the routing and install one of these? I'm converting a passive bass to active, and at least in theory, I'd like the batteries to have their own compartment for easy changing. How difficult a route is it to execute, and how hard is it to get the battery leads into the control cavity?
  9. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    love them. it just makes things a lot easier.

is that a Carvin?
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Sorry Cliff..
  11. I've never really seen the draw back in them. I don't know why anyone whould "hate them". They make changing the batteries much easier and quicker to do, especially if you start to lose charge mid-gig. I love mine

I also have a passive/active switch on my bass, just in case the bat. goes out and I don't have a spare.
  12. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey There Cliff ,

What is your preference ?

I would love to incorperate my battery a little more but it is tough to find a cost effetive way to do that . I had come up with a magnetic design that was similiar to the Dingwall but was unable to impliment it before Sheldon rightfully claimed it .

I still have a few ideas , so maybe next year I will offer something on the Exotic Customs .

13. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Absolutely hate 'em!!!!! It's merely aesthetic but I'd like clean backs! Battery dying during a gig? Active/passive switch!
    Mmmhh, let's see who's making this poll .... WHAT?!!! ... Hey ... ain't you thinking ... :eek: :D
  14. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    +1 on the magnetic thing! Very clean look ... I think Mark Eshenbaugh came up with the same on his latest basses ...
  15. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's not too hard. It's basically a rectangular rout, if you place it fairly close to your control cavity, drilling a channel betwixt the two isn't hard at all. Don't need much of a hole, it's only a couple thin wires.

I like that word, "betwixt"...;)
  16. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I like them a lot, for all of the obvious easy-to-change reasons. What I don't like about some of them (Brice comes to mind immediately) is that they are cheap and way too tight to get the battery out without possibly damaging the wiring.

If the battery box is well made, then I'm all for it. If it's an el-cheapo bass with a crappy box, I'd rather unscrew the cavity cover to access the battery. ...... :cool:
  17. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Another option would be to drill the control cavity cover out enough to run a couple wires into it, then duct-tape the battery (two, if you go 18v) to the back of the bass.

Anyone who actually does this probably has foil on their trailer's bay window...;)
  18. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    How about an edgemount battery box, maybe just above the output jack? The contacts could be at the bottom of the box so the battery would slide in and be held against the contacts by the door.
  19. I voted hate them, But thats just because I dont like active basses. But if I had an active I would want a box just so I did not have to unscrew the back cover. So mabye I voted wrong. Oh well.
  20. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    If I can avoid it, I will not buy an active bass without one. Both my active basses have one, and it makes life so much easier. I still bring a backup to each gig, but I would much rather change a battery rather than be forced to change the bass I am using.