Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery burnout on Q5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Recently I've been blowing through 2 9-volts at a time, while making sure to keep the bass unplugged. Playing time has not been more than a couple of hours at a time. Anyone have similar problems with Modulus Q5?

2. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Maybe theres something wrong with it. Contact the Manafacturer and see what they say.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There's definitely a problem, either a short or a failure of the switch that disconnects the battery when the bass is unplugged.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, you need to get it fixed. Most likely there is a short somewhere and if I had to place a bet, I would check the output jack.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    Any qualified tech can check the output jack to verify that GND is being removed from the pre circuit when you unplug the instrument cable. I've even seen some instruments that over time the output jack gets turned in a manner that shorts out the jacks "switched" contact to the control cavity shielding thus supplying GND to the pre circuit.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +2

My batteries last for months in mine, never had a problem like that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of batteries are you using??

If they are ultra-cheap ones, that could also be the problem. I only use Duracells or Energizers in mine, and have had good results.