Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery burnout on Q5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Dec 14, 2004.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My batteries keep dying out on my Modulus Q5, with nothing plugged in and little playing time. What gives??

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    A short between the preamp and input socket maybe? Loose wires? Bad solders? I'm clueless but those sound like good places to start. Didn't someone else have a thread exactly like this a month ago? Try searching for that one, and/or take it to a tech. Good luck.

3. I'm with you, a small scrape on a wire or something similar touching the sheilding would do it. It is draining off somewhere... :(

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am with the above posters. Something has to be wrong. The batteries in the Q5 that I had, and the Q6 that I now have (same ones that jammadave had in it, no idea how old they are :) ) have always lasted a long time.

Also, what kind of batteries are you using?? I have found that cheap batteries do not last very long in any of the active basses that I have owned. I usually try to stick to Duracells or Energizers, and have always had good results with those.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have now mentally traced this back to the technician guy at my church tightening my input socket for me, probably way too much. I guess the guitar goes in for look see. I use only Engergizers. When I got the bass, I went months before having to change batteries. There is something wrong in there and it's probably an easy fix when I find it. This is not a Rolex!

6. He probably twisted the jack so that one of the terminals is touching the shielding, causing the preamp to be 'on' constantly. Very easy fix.

Rick B.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I would say that that is the best place to start.