1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery compartment mods for 18v conversion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ReidK, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Hi. I've got a '98 MIM Fender Active Deluxe Jazz V bass. It has one 9V battery. I've determined that the preamp can handle 18V, and the wiring is a piece of cake, but the compartment won't accomodate two batteries.

I believe the battery cover is identical to the MIA version, which holds two batteries. Can someone who has an 18V Fender please tell me how the batteries are oriented and which way I need to enlarge the compartment? Better yet, please post a picture?

I'm talking about 18V basses that have the batteries down near the output jack, as in this diagram, not closer to the neck as on the Marcus Miller models.

Thanks for any assistance!

Reid

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york
    Not to get off topic, but can this be done with an EB MM4 stingray? (2000 ish) Ernie ball hasn't responded... please email the response so I don't junk up this thread

frankenscott@hotmail.com

Scott

Good luck with the mod I have a MIM Pbass 4 that I love :)

4. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Lowtide, thanks for replying but my question was about the fender jazz, not battery boxes in general. At least you tried to help me, so thanks again for that!

I've decided to take a different approach, one suggested by TB member JackANSI: use 6 2450 batteries (3V lithium "coin" types) to generate 18V instead. No body mods needed, and I can get the batteries for less than $2 each so it's very cost-effective.

Reid