battery compartment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jontom, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Can anyone direct me to where I can find a battery compartment for the back of a bass? I've tried Stewart McDonald and those just don't really click and hold the battery in. I looked through the Carvin catalog and it looks like they are using the same ones. Any suggestions?
  2. have you checked warmoth?

click on online catalogue, then hardware, then battery boxes.
  3. i see now those are the same ones you already saw. what exactly are you looking for? what is it you don't like about those ones?
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have a carvin bass w/ a battery compartment. It definately does click and hold the battery in. In order to take it out, you have to pull on a tab and open the compartment. It's not just going to come out unless you want it to.
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Milo...I need that feeling of security you get from a nice snap! sound. So far the 3 Stewmac's I've tried don't give me this and the battery kinda slides out the back. Sloppy.
  6. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    If you want sequrity why not sacrifice some ease of use and just get a screw on cover? Its not that hard to take off and on.
  7. You could build a magneic cover that is held on with some magnets. They hold excellently if you pick your magnets right.

8. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The cover sounds like a viable option. 4 screws beats the like 20 I have in the P-bass pickguard topside. I'll just have to bevel the edges so it sits flush and use foam around the battery to make up for the space I cut for a friggin' battery compartment...luckily my bass playing is better than my luthiery!
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't think I saw the AllParts catalog mentioned. Your local music store should have a counterlog you can look through. I saw battery compartments in there today. I think it's on the web. They would probably have the covers for ya too.
  10. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've used the battery compartments from the Carvin catalog in two basses, and they work just fine. They don't open by themselves.

11. Hmmm. $8, huh. Well that's encouraging. The connector plates in mine got really corroded a few months ago, and there was fuzz from poor contact and occasionally the bass would go dead from no contact. I scraped and scraped, and it worked fine for a wihle.

Then it just started doing it again. Poop. Not a whole lot of corrosion there though, so I didn't understand. In the course of fuddling with it, I pulled the black wire loose. Oops. Luckily, I was with my drummer who can solder and stuff. We took it apart, and reconnected things, and then it didn't fuzz much, but still some. I let it recuperate overnight, and now it's fine again. I do not understand.

I guess for $8, I can just get a new one. I hate when my electronic thingies go bad, because I have a basic noncomprehension of electricity.
  12. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I really like the AllParts compartments I have used..they hold well.

A bit off topic.....anyone routed a battery compartment into the rear cover of a passive bass? Layman's terms...making a passive bass an active and instead of putting the 9 volt inside the rear rout actually cutting a square into the rear rout plate and fixing a compartment to it. I don't want to rout another hole in the body, but don't want to unscrew the rear plate to change batteries...looks to be enough room but wondering if anyone has heard/done it before.

Thanks for opinions/advice.

13. If you have the skill to properly rout (or gouge, or otherwise make) a hole for the compartment that doesn't interfere with the other bits of stuff in the body of the bass, and make some kind of channel to connect that to your control cavity for wires, there's no problem.

just covering the proverbial ass, but you do know it takes more than a battery to make a bass active, right?

also, replacing batteries is really a rare thing. EMG lists their EMG-J set battery life at 3000 hours at 9V. even if you plug your bass in at the beginning of a gig and unplug it 6 hours later (one long gig) it'll take about 500 shows to kill the batteries. if it's an option (it is with emgs) you can run the pickups at 9V or 18V...or 27V if you're ballsy enough (they're rated for it, but it's close to their overload point, i'd expect) but putting in a battery compartment limits you to one voltage. no experimentation there at all..........
  14. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Yessir I am familiar with active preamps..just wondering if anyone has seen the control plate routed for this type of thing.:)
    I am not skilled with a router and don't want to pay the seemingly ungodly amount I think most techs in my area would charge to do the job. I wish I could rout...I would solve it that way very quickly.
    As for the EMG battery life spec's....well, let's just say I am a bit skeptical of them. 3000 hours is a looooong time. Anyways...I'll check and see how much the route would cost but I'm thinking about measuring the battery box on a similar control plate just to see if I can squeeze it in without interfering with the preamp. Thanks for the reply though. :bassist:
  15. ah....rear COVER of a bass.....missed that fairly important word. cheerfully withdrawn.

well, if it fits, i still see very little wrong with it.

depending on attachment method. that much mass attached to the control cavity cover may want to vibrate.......
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Security ?
    Go passive :meh: ?