1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery dies way too fast - help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by couchman77, Sep 23, 2008.

  1. couchman77


    Apr 20, 2008
    I recently replaced (or had a friend replace, rather) my passive jazz pickups for active ones. While the pickups sound great, the battery won't last longer than a week or two. Does anyone know of any common wiring mistakes that could cause this?
  2. Don't leave the jackplug in the socket.
  3. guy n. cognito

    guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

    Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You've installed active pickups or an active preamp?
  4. stflbn


    May 10, 2007
    +1 on making sure you take your instrument cable out of your bass whenever you're not playing it. That's likely it.
  5. lowtide

    lowtide Commercial User

    Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Yup, even if I go just to take a leak, I unplug the cable so the battery doesn't leak. :D
  6. couchman77


    Apr 20, 2008
    Thanks for the input, but its not the cable being plugged in. The battery goes dead in the case without me playing the bass at all. Its my backup bass so, it hardly ever gets played...and I'm finding its not much good having a backup if every time you pull it out its dead!

    Also, to answer "guy n. cognito's" question, it was active pickups that were installed, not a preamp.

    Any other thoughts out there?
  7. 1954bassman


    Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Check our wiring. Input jack should be switching the battery ground on when you plug in, and off when you unplug. Either wired incorrectly, or some other area of the wiring harness is grounding the battery.
  8. Jazz Ad

    Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

    Unplugging is only useful if there is a switch built in the jack.
    Is there a TRS jack on your bass ?
  9. biohazed


    Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    stop buying cheap batteries

    definatly sounds like the Pickups are staying powered for some reason

    +1 on TRS Jack.
  10. This issue is quite simple: You'll need to upgrade your output jack on your formerly passive bass.. The current jack is allowing your battery to drain. You'll have to get the same type of jack that are found in active instruments.
  11. right...
    stereo jack...

    signal to tip (as before)
    ring gets the ground
    sleeve (middle bit) gets the battery negative...

    when the lead is plugged into the jack, the battery negative connects to the ground, thus "powering up" your preamp...unplugged, the circuit is open and there is no current draw on the battery.
  12. What pilbarabass said is correct.

    One more piece of advice - don't let this same friend work on the electronics of your bass anymore.
  13. couchman77


    Apr 20, 2008
    Sounds good. My friend (who will not work on my bass again, thank you slyjoe) did not replace the original jack. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback!
  14. If that's the original jack, that's the problem. It probably has two lugs on it. You need 3.
  15. +1...

    he's probably wired the battery negative straight to the ground = ALWAYS on...
  16. mantaraya


    Apr 10, 2007
    make a tech check that out. in my stingray mine has been for a year and keep rocking.
  17. we did...;)

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.