Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battery drainage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Apr 2, 2004.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus bass I like it. I have had it for 3 weeks. When I first got it had a distorted sound. We changed the batteries in the store. The distortion went away,in about a week,it came back. I changed both batteries,in a week it came back. I put Energizer 9 volt batteries in,they ran out in about 7 days. What do you all think is causing this?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't leave the cable plugged into the bass, this drains the battery even when you're not playing.

3. I don't leave the cord plugged in when I am not playing,I put it in the case. Don't forget we changed the batteries in the store because it was distorting. In the manual it said that if the bass is distorting it is the batteries.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There's a short circuit somewhere in the control cavity. Look for things touching that shouldn't be. If the cavity is shielded with copper or a conductive paint, check for the output jack (or something else) touching the shielding.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah that doesn't sound normal........i leave one of my active basses plugged in all the time and it doesn't go dead for at lease a month......

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'm always reading accounts of people keeping batteries for months. Mine would last about week of regular playing I'd guess. I had a wall of active basses and played a different one everyday so don't know. But I shielded a bass and the jack defintely touched the sheilding and didn't make any difference that I could tell. It was good to go the next week I pulled it off the wall.

I just bought rechargeables, still have the first ones ever bought and that's a couple years ago. They don't hold a charge like alkalins but you never have to buy another one either. But if I were you I would either use non-rechargeables or change rechargeable batteries half way through for a gig. Seems BP recommends changing when the voltage drops to 8.75 but all mine play down to 7.5 - 8 with no distortion. Radio shack has neat little compact charger for $10 that charges NICD and NIMH but their batteries are on the steep side (go ebay). Make sure the rechargeables are as close to 160 mA and 9 volts as possible. Some 9vs are only like 7.5 volts (apparently the name comes from their size not capacity).

But I've pretty much gone all passive in the last month.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use rechargeables too, they last a little less long, but it's still more than adequate.

8. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I'm not sure what type of active EQ the Peavey uses, but I found on my Ibanez w/ the Bartolini 3-band, there's a potentiometer adjustment inside that I keep on the lower side which helps conserve battery (2-9-volts) power.

Paul

9. yeah its a gain trimpot, i keep mine low as well.. putting it up too high makes your bass sound like its on steroids

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I have a similar situation with my 5 string. It has a push/pull active/passive volume control. I took a rubber keychain and cut out a notch . Before I put my bass in the gigbag I just slide it under the knob so it won't close the circuit.
    Fo'

11. *newbie question*: how can you tell if a bass has got batteries?

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For the most part, if you don't see a battery, it doesn't have one. Pop the hood and see if there's a battery clip, or it may have a seperate flip top compartment - small rectangle about the size of a 9v you press at one end and up it comes.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I remember hearing about this problem with a few Cirrus basses a long time ago...try doing a search because I can't recall what the problem was, but others were having batteries go dead over night too.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    msangster,

PM rickreyn. He's the one I remember having that problem.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth, seems I've read an account of the jack being miswired and the bass can still sound fine but will drain the battery in a couple of hours. Sounds a little peculiar you could get both to me.

At any rate, if the bass sounds fine and the battery doesn't dissolve in the time it takes to do a gig, I personally would find other things to attend to. That is if the battery isn't draining itself. The bass should hang on the wall for a month and fire right up if it hasn't been played.