Battery Drains While Unplugged

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CalderLund, Oct 3, 2016.

1. I recently acquired a Yamaha BBG4s as part of a trade but have realized that the bass drains battery even while I'm not playing. I researched it a little bit and found that my battery is probably not soldered properly to the input jack. Upon further inspection, I found that the black wire that comes from the battery is soldered to the top part of the input jack poorly and the small part near the middle of the jack where the white cable is connected too looks like it had been previously soldered but has no wire attached to it. I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough. But I have a photo.

I have no experience working with electronics or soldering but I can get a soldering gun. If this is a simple fix, please let me know what I should do. I don't have very much money either and I wouldn't want to pay over $25 to get this fixed. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Couldn't make much out of the picture but I know from my experience that this issue is usually the 2 ground wires are reversed on the jack. There should be one hot wire going to the center for the jack, then 2 black ground wires going to the 2 side lugs. Reverse those black wires, that should do it (usually)

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    The way I see it, the black wire from the battery should be soldered to the middle contact on the jack as seen in the pic, where there's no wire connected now. Otherwise the circuit is always on.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. It looks like the black wire that comes from the battery is soldered to another black wire that comes from the volume pot. Is that a thing?