Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battery-eating bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xianbei, Jan 8, 2003.

1. xianbei

xianbei

Dec 4, 2002
    Vermont
    I've got a Carvin 6st fretless that uses active pickups to provide excellent tone, punch, and good low end response. The problem lies with the fact that the presence of the bass goes away after about two hours of steady (rather vivatious) playing. I'm wondering if others have found this to be the case. I was also wondering about rechargables.

Any suggestions?

Dave

The Huntington Project

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

The battery should last at least 6 months in an active bass. You should have the bass looked at by a luthier to see if there is a problem. Good luck

Rob

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My Cirrus batteries would die after one month of normal playing. Got to where I had a battery tester and a fresh set at all times in my bag. When they died, no sound!

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Do you unplug it when you're not using it? You need to do this or the battery will drain very quickly

Rob

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

It's an old trick of using a stereo jack like a switch to turn
    the battery on. When you plug your mono cable into the
    jack, the ground sleeve of the plug completes the ground-to-
    circuit from the battery.

You can sorta' get an idea how it works from this diagram
    of a simple P type setup from the EMG site...

[​IMG]

6. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    A long time ago I had an active Dean bass that ate a battery every week or so. Turned out to be bad solder in the jack and the circuit was always on.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I had a Carvin LB76 that had a problem similar to this, it turned out to be a bad input jack.