1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery/electric issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJ the sock, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I've searched this topic a number of times on these forums but i dont think any actually described the issue I have at the moment. Please forgive the long post.

Basically, I bought a SPEAR S1 bass off ebay about a month ago, after about a week it began to distort so i figured a battery swap was necessary. Put a new battery in and everything worked great, no more crackling. However, at a jam last night with the guitarist, he was having a go on the bass and the only way i can describe the problem was that the bass got really loud, distorted for half a second and just died.

I took it home, took the current battery out, put it back in again and it worked ok again up until this morning where it did the exact same thing, and this repeats itself each time i take the battery out and put it back again.

The reason i think it may be an electric issue is that the very same battery works fine in my other active bass, an Aria with a 2band EQ (the SPEAR has a 3 band) So I'm wondering if any of the tech heads on the forum can offer an insight into the issue.

Ps. It might be worth noting that i dont know of anyone in my area that could even attempt to diagnose the issue.

2. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    You may have a loose connection where the battery plugs into the connector. GENTLY squeeze the large connector with a pair of pliers. If this doesn't help, there is probably a loose connection in the connector itself and it will need to be replaced.

Is the connector a box that the battery slides into or one on wires? If it's on wires there may also be a loose connection where it attaches to the PCB.

mech