Battery fail!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    So I was talking to the guitarist today and he told me about what happened in his guitar case last night. Apparently he had a 9-volt battery and a watch battery for his tuner together in the pocket of his guitar case and they made contact when he set the case down before going to bed. He didn't know of this until he heard a huge pop and smelled smoke. He got up and inspected the noise and smell. Turns out that the watch battery exploded and put a huge hole through his hardshell guitar case. So now his case as duct tape on the back:p

2. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Man, that sucks! I've heard of lithium batteries spontaneously bursting into flame...never had it happen with a 9-volt though. YET. :p

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    it was the contact between it and the watch battery that caused this. I have had a 9-volt get pretty hot when I left it in a bag that had an Allen wrench in it and the wrench contacted both of the poles.

4. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    I learned about this very thing some years ago when I dropped a 9v battery into my pants pocket and it shorted out on some loose change!
    Boy did that get hot. Just a little momentary panic as I was trying to figure out what was happening.

5. Did the same thing myself, except is was 1 (one) single solitary penny in my pocket. Didn't know what was going on for a second. I'd forgotten about the penny. Got very hot, very fast.
    I can see the lithium battery going pop under high heat conditions, and getting a 9v jolt (if hitting the bottom and side just right (WRONG?)) at the same time. :eek:

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    drop a"dead" 9V in a trash can with some paper trash and maybe some random bits of metal (like old strings or especially steel wool) and leave the house, come back in a few hours and the results may not be very funny at all.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I make it a habit to stick a piece of electrical tape over the snap connectors on a 9V batt, before I pitch it in the trash. Cheap insurance, I figure.

8. I had lithium batteries ruin a nice camera, was underwater camera so battery compartment was airtight, believe they discharge hydrogen gas under certain conditions..

Randy

9. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    I've done this with a 9V battery and when you think that these things are apparently only a few percent efficient as an energy source no wonder we're running out of the stuff. If you want some real fun though - drop something like a big screwdriver blade across the battery terminals of your car!

10. Don't put batteries in the thrash can! They are highly toxic waste so have to be treated like that.

Or are you a professional racketeer? :bag: Extorting money from music stores by 'warning' them for fires by inattentive customers?

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

^^^^^This^^^^^ Batteries should be disposed of/recycled properly. Do not just toss them in the trash!

12. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    My dad did that with a spanner and a tractor battery, the part that touched the terminal melted.

13. Drop a 9volt in someones coffee.

14. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I used to lick 9-volts. Used to...when you have your tongue pierced, it's not so fun.

15. I leave 9 volts on the stage after a show. Then I don't have to worry about my trashcan catching fire.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Around here it's illegal to put batteries in the trash.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good thing he didn't do it with a wrench.

18. He's English so he gets to use a spanner any time he likes without moaning about Americans butchering a perfectly good mashup of a language.

19. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Apr 13, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    Interesting, because the last time we tried to recycle some from work (we had a whole tub full) the HazoHouse told us they no longer took them, that they were no linger toxic and to just toss them in the trash.

As a side-note, Batteries Plus will recycle them.

20. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    What JaamE said.^^^
    Batteries are now mercury free so they are fine to throw out. ONLY NiCad rechargeable batteries must be recycled.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021