Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery-less flashlight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Jan 7, 2006.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I got one of these for X-Mas:
    [​IMG]
    We took the dogs on a walk through my landlord's yard tonight and I busted this out for the first time. It works really well, but the clear casing makes using it blinding, depending on how you carry it. I'm thinking about wrapping some white tape around the top to direct some of the light away from my eyes.

Any of you guys use one of these? It really is neat, and having an LED flashlight w/o batteries is a definite plus. The only downside is the clear casing...

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I have one in my truck.. you shake it and there's a magnet inside (I guess) and it generates electricity. It works great.. mines a solid blue so it doesn't blind me.. and the light is bright as all hell and 5 or 6 shakes lasts a good 20-30 minutes.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Actually, I think there is a battery inside that the magnet and coil charges when you shake it. I put it down for several days after I was playing with it and it still had plenty of juice when I picked it back up again. It's definitely a good thing to have around.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Those are cool. I wouldn't mind having one for emergencies. For general day-to-day use though I prefer something battery-powered that puts out more light, such as another LED light - the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. Anything with a Luxeon LED is preferred. Lotsa light.

brad cook

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah, my dad got one fore xmas too. They work really well and are blindingly bright! a good invention for sure!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Our local Costco sold one that you wind up for power. It is made by Nebo. It get's really bright. I put it in my truck.

-Mike

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I gave my husband, my son and his girlfriend each a wind up flashlight for Christmas. We in South Florida need every gadget we can find to get through the hurricane season. The flashlight is very bright and has tow levels of brightness to save the wind up effort.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I stood in this store that sells those things for like 5 mins. Trying to figure out why a normal flash light would be in a store called "As seen on TV" I'm looking at this thing asking my friends "Why is this in here?" they saying that they had no idea. So I turn it on and I say "Oh it because it has a blue tint light. thats the stupidest thing I have ever seen" So I put it back and finished my Christmas shopping.

2 weeks later I see it on tv. Now I realize it had no batteries. Goes to show you how realy blond I can be.........

9. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    My wife's parents got me two of them, then my wife's grandmother got us all one.
    Amazing...it's the year of the light.

They're alright, but the beam seems a little weak to me. I'm a backpacker though, so I'm used to the multiple LED units.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Anyone wanting a brighter LED flashlight is better off going with one that has a 1 watt or better Luxeon LEDs. IMO, this is a better alternative than the lights with a cluster of normal LEDs. The amount of light the luxeons put out is way more. A regular LED seems bright until you get it outside or around ambient light and the beam disappears.

brad cook

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I got one of those a couple years back when I went camping...it worked well and helped alot when finding the facilities at the campsite. shake shake shake and I was off. Bargain for 3 bucks a pop.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Blast from the past eh.

13. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    There's an idea for an active bass.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    they are next to the snuggies.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    right? but I like the notion of having to put in the effort to make it work...a very "green" product. I imagine each piece is recyclable, and otherwise poses little impact environmentally, no?

Sorry, apparently late night posting makes me sound like a dirty tree huggin hippie. :D

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I might just grab one some day. Or make one, while I'm at it.

I like to make stuff.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have one of the wind-up ones and it's about the best thing to have around for emergencies because you never have to worry about whether the batteries leaked or whether it was plugged in recently enough, etc.

However I'd bet almost anything the poster that dug up this zombie thread was in fact a spammer, spamming his web store link on forums. Bad.

18. Hi.

^Spammers suck.

As for the wind-up, shaked, pressed etc. flashlights I'm sure that there's some quality products out there, but all the ones I've seen reminds me of this:

Q:How do You recognize a Zippo lighter user?

A:They smell like gasoline and are asking for a light.

POS says I.

Regards
    Sam

19. I've got one of the rechargable ones that you wind up, holds a charge for ages after you wind it if you dont use it that much.

20. You know how you power those up, right? You shake it like Alec Baldwin shook the Wii controller in the SNL skit this year.......

:bag: