Battery Life In Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Just learning, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Just learning

Just learning

Oct 19, 2004
    Hiya all,
    I'm just learning after picking up a Yamaha RBX 374 with active pickups. The only issue i have with it, is battery life.
    I don't give it that much stick, but the 9V only seems to last 3/4 weeks if i leave it in. there seems to be no way of switchng the pick ups off, unless you remove the battery.

Is this normal. Local opinion says not, but i just don't know. Help please, cos if there is something wrong with the pickups, then i need to know and get it sorted.

Cheers guys and girls
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It seems as if you are doing what so many novices to active basses do ---- that is, you are leaving your bass plugged in even when you aren't playing the bass.

It doesn't matter if your amp is on or long as you have the cable plugged into your bass it will sap your power and drain all the energy out of your bass's battery.

The first tip-off, for most basses, is that your tone will sound "fuzzy." Secondly, your tone/volume goes dead.

Put a good quality battery in that sucker and I bet you'll be back in the game. Don't spare any expense.
  3. Just learning

Just learning

Oct 19, 2004
    Thanks for that. i did wonder if there was some kind of switch located on the jack on the bass. just thought if i'd turn down the volume, and the amp off, then the pick ups would be off. thanks for the tips

I've got a stock of PP3 in now so it'll keep me going for a while :bassist: