1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Battery Life

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBro, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TBro

TBro

Apr 8, 2009
    I own an active/passive Ash Warwick Corvette Standard Jazz Bass. Very nice instrument to play however this bass Eats batteries (1 to 2 batteries a week). I use active during rehearsals and gigs however use passive at home etc. I have had this bass over a year and a half now and run it through a Hartke 350w Head. I LOVE the playability of this bass and don't really wish to change.

I have since had it professionally looked at and there appears to be nothing that is obvious as to why this bass eats batteries. (I use good quality batteries which of course makes this an expensive exercise.) Is this a characteristic of this particular bass?

I have seeked opinions from various online forums and general consensus suggests the problem may be in the coils of the pick up, a pre-amp problem or one of the pots is going bad. I have not been that overly fond of the sound / tone yet is adequate for the type of music I play.

I simply LOVE the playability and aesthetics of this bass and do not wish to change.

I always unplug the lead into my bass so this is not the reason.

Should I have Warwick take a look at it? Please advise

2. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    1-2 a week?!?!?!? It doesn't just eat them, it swallows them whole! Perhaps a car battery will suit you better? :D

In all seriousness, it's obviously an electronics problem, batteries are supposed to last months. Get the electronics checked.

3. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Hi TBro,
    A friend of mine (electrician)changed a Warwick over from battery to phantom.
    Myself,know idea how except he uses a special cable and of course no more batteries.
    Maybe worth looking into.good luck
    Woffle

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    So far it sounds consistent to the problem I had on my active sixer. Basically, it looks like a preamp problem. More specifically, it sounds like the battery is wired directly to the preamp (which means the preamp is constantly and consistently eating the battery), as opposed to the normal wiring where one of the battery leads goes through the stereo jack first - that way current only flows when the cable's inserted.

Either have Warwick take a look at it or have a local electronics/techie look at it. A friend of mine (from my university, but specialized in electronics) took exactly five minutes to pop the bass open, notice the problem, resolder it and close the electronics plate. The very next minute, the bass was playing loud and proud and I'm still on that same battery, half a year later.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1 to all of the above. There is something wrong. Even in my basses I play for multiple hours every day, the batteries generally last for up to a year. Including Warwicks.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I only have one active bass, a Fender Dlx P, using 18 volts. Batteries last at least 6 months, I think I'd have to agree with the above, you have a problem. Hope it's an easy fix, but something in your electronics is draining that battery in an almost evil way.