1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Battery life

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by waterdog, Apr 8, 2009.

1. waterdog

waterdog

Nov 14, 2007
    Treasure coast
    Unlike my other active basses, my Parker just slurps the juice out of a 9 volt. Two gigs, maybe one and a half. This can't be right. Help, you Parker players??

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, I don't play Parker Basses, but I have an active J, so here it goes.

Are you leaving your bass plugged in? Active basses use the jack being plugged in as a switch to turn the power on, so if your not leaving your bass plugged in all the time, maybe there is some wrong wiring inside?

Also, try upgrading to two batteries (19v) which should give you more headroom and a longer battery life.

Hope this has helped...

3. Theres something wrong. I agree with kyral-are you leaving it plugged in?

I played for about an hour a day on my active esp and in the course of almost two years i think i changed it three or four times.

4. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I've played my SR305 since Christmas of 2006. I've only changed the battery once, I believe, and I don't even think I had to. So yes, I'm assuming something is quite wrong. I can only ask the same question though, is it being left plugged in?

Not to hijack, but how does one know when a battery dies? Does the bass just stop? :meh:

5. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Bass starts to distort (in a very bad way) when the battery gets weak.
    But I use to check them with a multimeter every time I go to a live gig or studio. I also carry a couple of extra batteries.

On most of active basses the batteries can last for several months.

6. waterdog

waterdog

Nov 14, 2007
    Treasure coast
    Plugged in? Sure, sometimes. I've got 6 other active basses that don't have this kinda appetite.

18 volt is a thought but not 'til I've determined whether there is something wrong or "they're all like that". Starting to sound like a little electron leak. Dang.

7. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    So, there must be something wrong on your Parker bass. You should contact them.

18v is a good idea but you should consider routing the bass body for the extra battery. Sometimes this is not a good thing to do.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    almost sure the jack is wired wrong. Most probably the ground wire and the negative of the battery have been switched around leaving the battery always "on".

M

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Although fitting a new battery compartment IS a good thing to have, its not necessary. I only change batteries on my Schechter (full EMG pickups) once ever 6 months, so I keep battery #2 in the wiring compartment held down with gaffa tape. Every few weeks or before a gig I will open up the main battery compartment (original one) and check the life. If its good, just carry on, if its on its way out, change battery #1 and unscrew the back cover plate and change battery #2. SIMPLE

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Agreed that there's something wrong with the wiring, having the effect of it always being 'on'.

As a side comment - To be sure I always have enough juice on a gig when I'm playing active (this goes for wireless transmitter too) I always use high capacity rechargeables, charged up the night before. Some people would avoid these, but I know from experience they last more than long enough. Plus saves a fortune in normal batteries.

How many times have we binned half used ones before a gig to put a fresh one in, 'just in case'?

11. Wow... I am experiencing the same issue with Warwick Thumb I just picked up. No, I am not leaving the cable plugged in. The battery last about 2 weeks. ~24 hrs after putting a brand new battery, the voltage drops by 1 volt! I don't know if that is normal, but I know 2 weeks is completely wrong. I have been playing active basses for over 12 years now.

The electonics and wiring for the pre-amp *looks* pretty. Nothing obvious appeared out of whack based on the schematic diagram or testing with a volt meter. Although I really don't know what I was looking for. I haven't openned up the Active Pickups compartment. (Note Thumb pickups are powered, along with the pre-amp.) So something fishy could be in there, but if there was short in the pickups I would bet I would notice a nosie in the signal or no signal at all.

I will need to double check if the jack is wired backwards. I have a feeling that this is the problem. If this is the case... will the bass function normally except for the battery drain?