Battery of Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Antipop, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Just curious as to what people suggest for batteries... what tends to last longer, shorter, more consistent....
  2. I'v4e had problems with America's best sell alkaline battery the Duracell. It seem to die quickly and I've almost had one blow up in my instrument twice.

Eveready Energizer better IMHO. Last longer.
    No problems.
  3. I find Duracell doesnt last long either. And when they get low my bass sound makes farting and distorted noises. Yet when i use any other type of brand, they just die and i lack tone.

Maybe Duracell should bring out the "bassists battery"
  4. The only battery that I've found lasts the longest is the Duracell Pro batteries. You can't get them from any store - they are only sold to OEM's or through special distributors. My only evidence is a pair of batteries that lasted 3 years in my Kawaii F2-B. This bass got a fair bit of play in a rotation of 3-5 other basses. It was also left plugged in overnight probably a dozen times as well. Finally, they began to give out and I had to replace them but that was last month and I bought the bass in 1999!

I've got a source but if I told you who, I'd have to kill you. :D
  5. I use Duracell Procell... as used by my mum at work in some asthma research equipment.... Ahh governments waste so much!

aka: "the batteries must only be used for one week then replaced"

Sure then ship em over to me! Oh yeah.. they do. heehee

6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm trying UltraLife lithium batteries in my Carvins. Lithiums promise 2x the life of alkalines. They're about 2-1/2x as expensive, so they'd better last longer!

UltraLife makes 2 variants. The more common one, sold as a smoke alarm battery, has an aluminum outer casing, and it is too fat to fit in most pop-up 9V battery holders. You may have to look to find the plastic/foil cased version.

Other manufacturers (Eveready) also make lithium batteries, but I have not been able to find them.

Whatever you do, avoid Ray-O-Vac alkaline batteries! Every one I have ever used has leaked.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Energizer E2 do it for me
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  10. P. Aaron