1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery on the Ibanez SRX700

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wasim, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    My ibanez that i've had for about 9 months is all of a sudden giving a horrific dead sound. My amp works fine with my Fender and i don't think it's the strings so i'm wondering if it might be the battery on the active pickups dying on me. I bought it straight from a music store downtown (so people would have been trying it out in the store before i bought) but i don't hold out much hope for any help from them.

Basically does it sound like a case of a dead battery, and if so how/can i replace it? Thanks.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It almost certainly is a dead battery. These things have to be replaced with fresh ones you know. And you must unplug the instrument cable from your bass when you're not playing the bass. (not between songs of course) Plugging in the cable connects the battery in the bass.

On the back of your bass should be a metal plate that says "9 V battery inside". That's an important clue. (my Ibanez says this-not all basses may be marked so clearly) Remove the plate with the appropriate screwdriver and you'll see the battery. Note how it's connected. The battery will only fit one way. Unplug the battery and take it with you to a store that sells 9 volt batteries and buy 2 of them (one for a spare) Buy any brand name like Eveready, Raytheon, Duracell etc. Tell them you want an alkaline battery (they last longer)
    Put the new battery in the bass the same way the old one was connected. Replace the metal plate. You should be good to go. Store the spare battery somewhere where the metal terminals on top won't contact any metal and short out. It'll have a couple years at least of shelf life if not being used. Store it where it stays fairly cool and dry. Throw out the old, dead battery (in an environmentaly responsible manner)

Your replacement battery will last as long as the one that came with your bass, at least, unless you use the bass more, of course.

By the way, on that Ibanez (a very nice bass ) you'll get a better sound by running the volume control at a maximum of about 2/3ds open, I have found. Wide open can easily overload the input stage of your amp. Too much bass boost can do that too.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    There's a good chance that the battery is the culprit. Change it and see if the new battery fixes the problem.

It is advisable to change your battery(ies) regularly. How often depends on how much you play. For most of us twice a year is about right. A good schedule is swapping them out when you change the clocks for daylight savings and standard time. The fall change insures a relatively fresh battery for the holiday party season when you, hopefully, will be working alot.

N.B. It's also a good idea to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and any other safety equipment you own at the same time.

4. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks a lot guys.

I didnt know keeping the cable connected to the bass runs down the battery. ****!

Cheers

5. hey, live and learn right. just be sure to keep an extra battery in your gig-bag (I keep two)

6. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    ah i knew why i love my passive bass - when the active one dies bass number 2 comes into play =)

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Good point. My SX800 has the battery inside the main compartment with the electronics, as though the bass wasn't designed for active. Someone buying it used might miss that altogether.

8. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Thanks for all the good replies.

Yeah live and learn - at first i thought i'd have to buy a new bass!

I also realize the worth in keeping my Fender precision, which i've been playing on lately. Always reliable.

Will look for a battery (or two) this weekend.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, and to compound the problem for new players, some of the passive basses have a control cavity cover on the back of the body and so some may think they have an active bass. Your average music store salesman usually doesn't know much about the gear he recommends. I've heard some wild things come out of their mouths when talking to a new guy buying his first bass.

10. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Sometimes other customers can be a rotten source of information as well.

BTW, I meant SR800, not SX800. I don't know why I can't type when I'm on this board. Must be all the information.

11. Indiana920

Indiana920

Jun 5, 2006
    U.K
    what about using rechargeable 9Vs in a bass?

12. Rechargeable batteries are great in concept, but generally don't hold a charge to well after a while

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They don't put out a full 9 volts. They're the size of the 9 volt batteries, just short on voltage.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021