1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

battery powered 9v power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ballison, May 1, 2006.

1. ok...heres the deal...I play alot of stuff solo outside in a park here in boston and I want to be able to use ALL of my pedals...thing is some of them I have to power with a power supply...does anyone know of anything that will supply me with 9v of power that I can offshoot to other pedals when I dont have access to an outlet? thanks guys!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, so you've got a pedal or two that doesn't have a battery clip and only a jack for a DC adapter? And you're sure it's 9V?

$2 in parts and a trip to Radio Shack makes you a pretty nice improptu "power supply"

3. You can do a search for 9V gel cells and use one to power your whole effects setup. Get an inexpensive 9v auto-charger and you would be all set. You will probably be looking at something made for the RC hobby sector, since they are one of the few that deals with 9v gear, as well as 6, 12, 15, or 18v gear. If the place sells 9v cells (tongue twister?) then they probably sell a suitable charger.

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=155074

I am not suggesting to buy it from there or anything, It just happened to be the first place I knew to look for that. (I guess I could have found the DNA site, but I didn't know who made it). But that should work for what you need. Rechargable too. Just kinda really pricey....

5. yeah...really pricey...Ill have to check out those gel cell things thanks!

6. mostly thinking about a digitech whammy...

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    SnapShot from Whammy PDF manual:
    WhammyPS.

According to that it's ~9V AC not DC. Kinda like my English Muff'n (12VAC)

8. thanks Im dumb haha so I guess there's no way for me to use that pedal without an outlet?

9. Now you're getting into inverter territory, and most commercial inverters are designed to make mains power voltages (120V or 240V) so then you'd need a transformer to step that down to 9VAC... starting to sound kinda out of hand, but it's definitely possible.

The other option might be to hack your whammy, chances are it rectifies the AC into DC - you may be able to circumvent that process and feed it DC direct. However, it could just as easily not be that simple too.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Unless you want to do some major electrical work, like niftydog is saying (and have a lot more to carry), no :(