1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery Powered Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am looking for a decent battery powered amp that i will be able to use for street preformance this summer with my drummer who will be using probly just a snare hi hat and bass drum, playing with brushes; so hes not gona be really loud. I heard the pignoses kind of sound like sh*t and cant handle the E string without distortion. Are they any other options?

2. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you want cheap, and If you already have a speaker, use a car amp and one of those portable battery jumpers. You'll get more tips if your gear looks homemade.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Crate makes one, too. Crate owns Ampeg, you know.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Phil Jones briefcase would be killer to have if i had an expendable income. Once again, i have heard too many bad reviews on the pignose, but i will research the crate, i have nothing against them, in fact i still own my first bass amp by crate; which is still trucking (most of the time) ;-)

6. I use the pignose for playing at my friend's cottage. It is pretty decent and if it does get banged a bit, I do not mind as much. If I had the phil jones, I would probaby be freaking out is someone even looked at it wrong (it is expensive). I admit I only play a 4 string, so cannot comment on how it handles a 5 string bass, but before you knock it, try one out with your bass.
    So I say try the HOG 30, try the crate and then you can make an proper decision

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have one of the Crate Taxis(TX30). Works fine for what it is. Fine for sitting around playing with acoustic guitars and the like.

Kim

8. +1 for the Pignose 30. I demo-ed one and it's a nice little amp. I'm planning on buying one for jamming outside in places where there is no line AC power available.

Paul Mac

9. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    ROFL! It's true!!

Yeah the Crate Taxi is good. The Pignose works, too. EH makes a little battery-powered unit but it's more of a guitar amp. I've had luck with my roommate's discontinued MaxiMouse as well. If you want to save the most money, DIY is the way to go.
    Another option (I think) is to use your favorite combo with a DC/AC converter and a car battery or depending on the flexibility of the voltage converter, you can use lamp batteries instead of a car battery for more portability.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Don't wear shoes when you play.

Also helps with tips.

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I have the Pignose, it does what it does... but doesn't sound good at all, it sounds like a guitar amp.

If you go the battery route, I've heard you're better off with a marine battery (car batteries are better for quick discharges of a lot of current, while marine batteries are better for slower/steady discharge). Power inverters can be found relatively cheap at car parts stores.