battery powered amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brutuscheezcake, Feb 10, 2005.

1. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys,

i am in need of a battery powered amp for small jazz duo gigs. i definately need a 3 set life outta it, and 4 would be preferable. i know that crate makes an battery powered amp and that phil jones also makes one (but it wont cut it time-wise).

anybody using one that works well?

i need it for fretless electric, but might want to put my upright thru it as well if it could handle the fundamental. (the requisite plug for my cleveland)

so any experiences with battery powered amps guys?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Carvin Stage Mate

I used it for Marching Band this year... not terribly loud nor bone crushing lows (at all), but punchy as hell, and cut through 65+ horns, a drumline, and a full pit.

Lasted me 5 hours... probably could go longer.

Adding that addition speaker would probably work just fine.

Also, have you considered buying a battery pack? Kragen Auto carres these things that will push 20 amps for 6 hours.... most houses are 15 amps.

Our sound system next year will be a self-amped carvin 1x15 (3 of those) a battery pack for each, and a 12 channel mixer... they work great. We got it all in a few weeks ago, and it sounds terrific.

So, i'd go for the carvin, or just look for a battery pack, and use a real bass amp.

The battery pack things from kragen go for about $80 or less a piece... if you dont have one near you, i'd be more than happy to see if any kragens in town have one, and see about them shipping it to ya.
  3. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey man,

that looks cool and might be the ticket. no worrys, eh? fairly light weight. and i can go check it out at carvin in hollywierd. oh yeah, a trip down sunset.....

hmmm.. thanks for that suggestion. it will definately be on the list to go check out.

4. I have the Pignose HOG30! It lasts a long time (never actually timed it), and I charge it after each use.
    Remeber by going the route of battery amp you will loose tone on the lower powered units (never tried the Phil).

good luck.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Also, keep in mind that the Phil Jones Briefcase will last longer with less than full output. So, if you aren't running it hard it should last longer. It can also run off of an external 12v batter, I believe.