Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery powered amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Does anyone here have experience with battery powered amps? I know of a few, the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase, the Pignose 7-300, and the Crate TXB50. I'm hoping to get some testimonials on these or other battery powered bass amps. I'm going to be doing some outdoor playing where power is most likely NOT going to be available. Thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The other option is a small combo, a DC to AC inverter and a trolling motor battery (they're designed for constant discharge unlike a car battery). There have been a number of threads on this subject. Perhaps a search will turn them up.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't used my Briefcase very long on battery power yet, but they claim you get an hour of full volume playing. That does seem somewhat short, but then again, it would not be too hard to switch out a second 12v gel cell battery, or to bring a large, lead-acid 12v battery, for longer playing time. It also sounds pretty unbelievable, too!

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    IMO, a battery powered bass amp is an oxymoron. Not good for much, really. The Phil Jones has a hundred watts, and that's hardly even enough for practicing at home, much less gigging in a club. A hundred watts for a bass player is comparable to about ten watts for a guitar player.

Now, if I could get my hands on a Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor, and drop a few beers in there, it's be a different story. :D

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My primary reason for getting it was to help my ABG be heard when we do some fireside jams off "in the woods". I agree that it is not loud enough to gig with, but it does help me compete with acoustic guitars and fiddles.

Now, as for the practicality of a 100 watt amp in general, I think you would agree with me, my friend, that a 100 watt all-tube combo has its uses! ;)

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    This is just going to be a nice little combo for playing with some acoustic folks, "in the woods" as you put it. I'm not concerned with it being real loud, and I certainly am not planning on gigging with it. I have an Ampeg SVT setup for that.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    A friend of mine makes 120 watt battery powered combos. I don't what kind of battery technology it uses but you can ask him. He's an electrical engineer so be prepared to get a long answer.

I can attest to the fact that it ran for at least four hours straight at med to high volumes and did not die.

I can't say that it is the most beautiful thing you will ever look at but it works. Oh! and did I metion that it is heavy?

I don't know about price either. The ones he used when he was playing with us were proto-types and pricing had not been set.

Check out www.Walker-Labs.com

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I actually did find those. However, the 'Big Brother' lists at $900 and I found a place that sells it for $750. That is way out of my range. It's also a lot bigger than what I want. But thanks for the suggestion.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In the subways around here, the Crate models make a frequent appearance. Other possibilities are the Fender Amp Can and the Roland Microcube (both intended for guitar, but they do an OK job as bass amplifiers too).