Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battery powered amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alon, Jun 20, 2002.

1. alon

alon

Jun 11, 2002
    greets all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent battery powered amp for outdoor play. Perhaps someone knows of a powerfull ,portable outdoor electricity source, good enouh to power a small bass amp.

peace and thanks ,

alon

2. PIGNOSE!

That's all I can really think of. Check 'em out

Pignose!

-Dave

3. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    I bought a Pignose HOG-30 and had a ball with it. It's not a loud amp, but it is a fun one. You can expect about 20 hours on a fresh charge, so you won't be running out of steam very quickly.

4. Can you give us a volume estimate? As in, were you able to play over other people, and such...if it isn't too much trouble.

-Dave

5. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    The band, as it were, consisted of guitar through a dimed Pignose 7-100, keys through a Yamaha VA-10 (3W+3W stereo amp) and me with the HOG-30 dimed. Unmic'd, I had a very tough time singing over top of the noise, so it was pleasantly loud. We had about 50-60 people in the park listening to us. Lots of fun.

6. Very cool, that's exactly what I (and hopefully the original threader) wanted to know. Thanks.

-Dave

7. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's worth noting that if clean is your thing, a HOG-30 isn't. :D The only truly useful volume/tone settings I found were gain/master volume cranked, all bass/mid/treble at 12 o'clock.

No discernable mwah at all with my fretless, but it was just an awesomely dirty tone for laying down awesomely dirty blues.

Oh, and for anybody who patently states that solid state distortion sounds terrible, you owe it to yourself to hear a Tele through a dimed 7-100. Wow. Absolutely sweet.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You may also want to check out the Crate "Limo".
    http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.CRATX50DBE&z=1410319146762

It's a step up from the their "Taxi" model. At $370, it ain't cheap, but it's 50 watts, has 2 channels (one with an lowZ XLR input), aux in, and Crate claims it can run for up to 8 hours on a single charge.

- Frank.

9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Crate is also doing a portable bass amp.

Click here

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if u have a little more money to spend you could just use your amp. Ive been toying with this idea for a while, and im not positive it would work but pretty sure. Get a powerful enough power inverter and just hook your amp up to a car battery. Ive been wanting to play in a big open field and wondering if this would work. It might be worth a try if need a bigger amp, cuz the real battery operated ones are usually pretty small.

11. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Well it's not really a bass amp, but damn is it a powerfull battery powered system. carvin portable PA

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I've run amps & even small PA systems with a power inverter without any problems, but only connected to the battery in vehicles (for parades and things like that). A car battery probably wouldn't be the best bet cause it's made to provide "cranking" amps and not to sustain power drains over a long period of time. A better bet would be a 12 volt marine battery (the type used for electric trolling motors). You'd also need to know how the inverter deals with the AC signal when the battery can no longer generate enough power to sustain 110-120 volts.

- Frank.

- Frank.

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    we used a generator once for a show. we had to cover it in pads and sorround it with cars so it didnt cut into our noise. They are VERY loud so be prepared if u run that route.

14. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ill also support the battery/inverter. i used a marine battery rigged up like that for marching band when i was in high school. we would have 8 hour rehearsals, with the amp on the whole time, and i never had any problems with it. its a pain to carry though, and make sure you mount the inverter separately from the battery, or you'll get all that acid crud all over everything. i had mine in a plastic file case thing from office max, and there was a little hole in the side for the wires, and the the inverter was screwed on the side of box.

15. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I used to see guys in NYC all the time using the car battery thing. There was a guy called Rob on Bass that would set up in Times Square and play this funky two-handed axe that i couldn't identify. He was pretty good and sold a lot of CDs. I don't remember what kind of amp he played, but he was using a car battery to power it. He put the whole rig on a little folding hand truck and away he went!

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive heard from my friend that are up in Boston that they are always seeing these bands setup in Harvard Square with a boat batery.

Ive only seen it once, and It was at a distance, but Ive heard it works good.

Peace
    Nick

17. I believe the Crate Limo is the practical solution. The Pignose 30 just isn't strong enough.

18. alon

alon

Jun 11, 2002
    thnks for all your help.

I`ll look into it,

peace,

alon

19. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Have a look to this: Factotum Mini by Voice Systems.
    I listened to that this summer on a beach and it was astonishing. It can deliver 120 watt with a 12V marine power battery.