Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battery powered amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlowRiot, Aug 10, 2002.

1. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    I cant find any cheap battery powered amps for my bass. The only ones i can find sold in shops are marshall ministacks, and the shopkeepers inform me they have a habit of exploding when used with basses. But they are devilishly cheap, and exactly what i need - would they actually work with a bass? Does anyone own a battery amp, and if so what make is it and how much did it cost?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Battery powered amps generally do not really work with bass because the amplification of those low frequencies requires far more power than necessary for guitars - too much for one or two 9V blocks.
    And the speakers of those guitar mini-stacks are not designed to handle bass.

There has been a thread on this topic sevveral months ago, maybe even last year. But you might find if you search the amp forum for 'battery'

Matthias

3. I've got a pignose HOG 30 that I use for busking with my DB. It works fine for low volume situations. Not exactly hi-fi though... I wouldn't use it for anything other than low volume jazz gigs where there is no power available. Cost about $150 US.

4. SlowRiot

SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    England
    well im only looking for something like that, for busking or practicing with my band in places where there might not be any mains sockets available - i only need something to match an acoustic in volume. But im not really prepared to pay $150 for that...

5. Good luck then;)

6. I built a portable amp. What I did was purchase a 800 watt max (500 rms) car audio power amp ($118) and a cheap preamp ($40) I had a car battery (650 cranking amp) and an automatic charger (3 amp) Ran it into a Carvin Rl 410. Man it could sing. The pre amp would distort too easily when you would turn the volume up too high on it. The power amp could take anything. Did a gig up on the mountain for about an hour of good hard playing and my voltage was at like 12.55. I was happy, but I wanted a better pre amp so i ended up buying a plug in to the wall amp.. it was cheaper..

7. I've had a Crate Taxi for 6 or 7 years. I'm on my 3rd battery. I use mine to augment my ABG at picnics and smal outdoor gatherings. It works for a couple hours per charge and sounds OK (it's 30W and an 8 inch speaker so it's not exactly designed for bass) at moderated to low valume. Only real downside is the bright yellow color.