battery-powered amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chizzops, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Chizzops

Oct 29, 2002
    Anyone have experience with battery-powered amps for bass? Which is the best and the most likely not to explode hitting low bass notes at high volume?

I tried an electo-harmonix which is mainly designed for guitar, and while it sounded really nice, the low strings made the speaker distort, and it wasn't all that loud--a point of concern!

How about the "Hog," and any others you've tried?

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A short time ago I tried a Crate
    battery powered bass amp. It worked
    pretty well on my acoustic electric as
    well as my acoustic upright basses.
    Didn't get to use it with my 5 string
    electric. The only thing is, I don't
    think the Crate amps are very reliable.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a Crate TX30 "Taxi" that I use for "under the tree with acoustic guitars" I am extremely pleased with the sound and construction. It has a sealed lead-acid battery that is good for about 8 continuous hours. There is an 8" speaker and a piezo. Tone with a BG is VERY good. It can run/charge off of household current or 12volt (cigarette lighter). The TX50 "Limo" is a slightly larger version with a 10" speaker, XLR input for the mic channel and effects. It is now coming in a molded enclosure. Crate comes to you from the folks at St. Louis Music...who also bring you Ampeg. Warranty and customer service are both excellent.

4. The AER (German) Mobile 60 is a 60watt battery powered amp that is really designed for acoustic guitar and vocals, but I've tried a BG and I could crank it to full volume without any worries.