1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery powered amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Venom of God, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    So, my band and I just got ourselves a little old '78 Toyota Hi-ace campervan! We plan on going up the east coast of Australia in it next year- gigging, busking and picking fruit all along the way!

Can anyone recommend me a good little battery powered amp for busking? I don't have an acoustic bass and really don't want one, never liked the feel of them or heard one acousticly that I liked the tone of.

I was thinking something like a Micro Cube could be good, though last time I looked they didn't do battery powered bass ones.. would the guitar one suffice? I have a SansAmp that I could run through it.

We'll be playing your usual busking type songs (The Black Sorrows, Oasis, softer Pearl Jam etc) in a three piece with guitar/vocals, bass/backing vocals and one of those snare box things/backing vocals.

Thanks!!

2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
  3. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
  4. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    The rechargeable battery is nice! How does it sound? Would it be a nicer, warmer tone for acoustic stuff than the Roland (I ask that since it has the one larger speaker as opposed to four tiny ones)?

Would be more of a hassle having to use a tuner and chorus pedal, though (which I wouldn't need to bring with the Roland).

5. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Actually, the four 4" speakers have twice the surface area of the 8" speaker.

timplog likes this.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Bass MicroCube and Pignose Hog 30 are the best deals on portable amps.

7. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I've been reading a fair few reviews and they all say the MicroCube has no bottom end to it.. I know that I can't expect much from such a tiny, battery powered amp, but am I going to plug into it and hate how it sounds? Would it still be enough to fill out the bottom end under an acoustic guitar? Or more to the point, good enough to just busk with?

8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    how about a small bass amp and run it off of a power inverter from the van battery? You could even use a auxilary battery that you recharge between gigs

Todd :)

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the pignose hog 30 is good sounding, durable, and the battery lasts forever and i mean forever, the sound from the headphone jack sounds weird but what do you expect for 150 dollars it can't be perfect

10. pedrorolo

pedrorolo

Oct 4, 2010
    I read somewhere that the hog distorts the lows and that Crate's Taxi Series are better,,, They are much more expensive also,,,,

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    it distorts somewhat but it hasn't been an issue for me, because i am not really after a super clean tone

12. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Phil Jones Briefcase. Runs off internal battery; good for +/- 60 minutes, external 12v deep cycle battery for a long time, or your vehicle's 12v system fo'evah. And sounds great.

13. That testosterone stuff is goin' to getcha in trouble one day!!!

Have a great trip but above all be safe!!

14. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    No, actually four 4" speakers have the same speaker area as ONE 8" speaker.