Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery powered amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm looking for a small (say, 30 into a 8" or something like that) battery powered bass amp.
    I miss playing in the street and jamming along with acoustic guitars.

Does any of you use one or has tried one ?

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yes! I have a Crate TX30 'Taxi' that has exceeded all of my expectations. I bought it after looking at acoustic electric basses to accompany acoustic guitars. While the AEBs sounded okay on their own, they were buried as soon as an acoustic guitar was added. Seeking input, most AEB players admitted that they went the battery amp route to be able to be heard while playing with acoustic
    guitars. I tried the Fender Amp Can (nice) and the Taxi (superb) before the light in my head went off...how would these amps sound with my regular electric bass? Answer: wonderful...much better than the AEBs through the same amps. So, I didn't need a new bass, just the amp. The Taxi uses a sealed lead-acid battery that is said to last eight hours going full-tilt. I have no reason to doubt this. I played at moderately loud levels for an hour and a half and the battery only needed to charge for about 10 minutes, when done. This amp is LOUD! There are two channels, so you can use a mic on one and your bass on the other. The Taxi TX30 has an 8" and a piezo tweeter. There is a 15 watt version, also with an 8 and piezo, but I know nothing of it. Crate also makes a TX50 'Limo' in a molded cabinet with a 10" and piezo, but also with an XLR for the mic (the TX30 has a 1/4 inch) and digital effects. I think the Limo is the better deal...lighter, too, but it wasn't out when I got my Taxi and the TX30 has done everything I have asked of it, better than I could have imagined, without even breaking a sweat. The amp was actually designed for street corner musicians. The battery is rechargeable off of either 12 volts(cigarette lighter) or 110volts AC. Highly recommended.

Kim