1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery Powered Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beaver Creek, Dec 14, 2010.

1. I would like to get a battery powered bass amp.

So far I've found:

Traynor 15W 6"
    http://www.amazon.com/Traynor-International-Battery-Powered-Guitar/dp/B001G7DA1W

Pignose 30W 8"
    http://www.amazon.com/Pignose-7-300-HOG-30-Amplifier/dp/B0002D0K00

Roland Microcube 4x4"
    http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Bass-Combo/dp/B001CBW4DC

Phil Jones Briefcase 100W 2x5"
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Phil-Jones-Briefcase-PJB-100?source=googlebase

Crate discontinued model Bus 50W 10"
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...ass-Bus-Battery-Powered-Bass-Combo?sku=487778

I've got a B-DEC that wouldn't mind modding a battery into it if I could find a schematic on it.

Any thoughts on battery powered bass amps?

zeb_bass likes this.
  2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Why not Just get a battery/power pack and use an efficient amp?

3. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    buy the Roland Bass Micro Cube RX, amazing little amp!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  5. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Hey Beaver Creek
    Great thread. It's nice you researched all the different types of battery bass amps. I've spent hours and could only find the pignose, microcube and a little info hear on the Phil Jones.

Microcube gets all the buzz but the pignose is half the price.
    I wonder if it sounds any better or just costs more because of all it's bells and whistles.

What did you go with?

Anybody else?

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    this is really the way to go IMO. ^

That said, the Phil Jones rig looks nice. You can run it on 12VDC if needed. Kinda pricey, tho.

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I borrowed a Traynor TVM10 to use with my Kala Uke Bass for camping jams last summer. Worked great and sounded nice and uprighty. This was with a big accordian and a couple dreadnoughts and banjos to keep up with. Held a charge fine - 3 hours playing was no sweat.

This year I'm just plugging into the dash of my Honda Element. It's killer but a bit less portable. (gotta be careful about getting to close to the fire, too)

8. Used car battery and an inverter will run even pretty large Class B combo amps for long time. That's what I'd use if I'm ever in a pinch for extreme portability.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

You can use a battery and inverter, but in the long run it will be quite a bit less efficient, as you are running an second conversion. However, it it works for your application, why not?

10. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    +1 teach with this amp all the time the micro cubeRX kicks ass.

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have the TX30 Taxi...supposedly...30 watts...I think they reclassed it as 15 watts in a pique of guilt, lol!...anyway...it does respectfully outdoors with a brace of acoustic guitars...and the battery freaking lasts f-o-r-e-v-e-r! Not a tone monster...but for those evenings on the beach or in the shade off a big old oak tree...I find it very satisfying.

Kim

12. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    Op - perhaps get at Jean Baudin (i think that's his screen name too) about the Phil Jones Briefcase stuff. i know he's used it for awhile and likes them. i think he endorses them. but i've used his and they seemed nice.

13. Paradise

Paradise

Sep 26, 2011
    I have a Pignose Hog 30. great little amp. I use it primarily outside to practice for marching band, and have found it to be a great alternative to having to hook up 3+ extension cords just to play.
    The amp comes with 2 inputs, a headphone jack, charging port, etc. It has not failed me yet. the handle rubber is coming off though, and it annyoys one to carry it. Other than the cheap handle on top, great portible 30w amp for an affordable price.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i like my hog 30 for quiet practice, for barbecues, and a s a portable PA, i actually played it on my friends art project, because my marshall was getting repaired

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I have the Roland mini cube and the Phil Jones, both great amps

G

16. psi36

psi36

Sep 30, 2011
    Roland Cube Street has 2 x 6.5 inch but is supposed to be a guitar and mic amp.
    Roland Micro Cube Bass RX has 4 x 4 inch and is for bass.
    To me it doesn't seem to make sense to have smaller speakers on a bass amp then on a guitar amp with the same power (both 2.5 W + 2.5 W).
    Does anyone know if the Cube Street is any good for playing bass on?

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

A couple of 4" drivers driven by 2.5W each does not make a serious bass amp!.

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I never considered a battery powered amp until my guitar player had me plug into a ION TAILGATER/ALESIS TRANSACTIVE amp it sounded warm/kinda loud and had a 12 hour battery life. I bought one for my self to use in an acoustic band...

19. I have a portable power station (actually, a version of this one)

[​IMG]

I had brought it to one of our jam sessions and just for fun I ran my 250W Roland DB-700 through it. It delivered perfect performance, and I had no trouble, even when cranking my amp just to see the watt-meter climb on the battery.

In the end, I got about 1.5 hours at insane practice volumes (SPL meter read 115db for most of the evening, measured in the middle of the room (yes, I wear plugs, but can't control bandmates))

All that to say, these things are good, but you might need a backup/external battery to extend your playtime, depending on your playing volume and amplifier efficiency. Class D amps will be able to get far more life out of the battery.

20. johnbee

johnbee Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have tried the Roland Microcube Bass, the Pignose HOG 30, and also the Crate TX15 ("taxi").

ROLAND - Based on reviews, I thought it would be the best choice; but it was extremely 'farty' for lack of a better word. I was playing quietly and without the bass knob pumped up, and it sounded terrible. (And I usually love Roland -- my DB150 is awesome!)

CRATE - Sounded better than the Roland. It will get a decent volume, but you need to dial down your bass knob, or it will get overloaded and farty.

PIGNOSE - Best sound of the three, by far. At the same volume as the Roland and Crate, it was able to produce a fairly deep bass tone without the fartiness. Noticably better than the other two. And you can sit on it while you play. :) Of course part of the reason you can sit on it is that it is way bigger than the Roland or Crate, which is a minus to me.

If good sound in a portable is your top-priority, I would recommend the Pignose (assuming you can't afford 600 clams for a Phil Jones!). That said, I actually bought the Crate. It was irrational, because the Pignose sounded better. But the Crate is smaller and more portable. And I liked the look of it a lot more than the Pignose, which is homely to my eyes. It seems like the Crate will be good enough for my needs (playing outside, alongside a guitarist, not so loud, and not worrying about perfect tone). I just got it, so I'll report back later on how it worked out...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020