Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery-Powered Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andfitchandyou, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I'm looking into getting a battery-powered bass amp. What battery-powered amps does everybody use? The only one that I am aware of is the Crate TXB50. It costs $369.99. I really want to get one to play campfires and outside in general.

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    phil jones briefcase

3. Are you playing an upright or an electric bass? I need an amp for electric bass. How much is this amp and where can I find it? Thanks for your help! :bassist:

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    autozone and such sells battery packs. much better, imho.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Campfire jams were a definite thought when I bought my Briefcase.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    just wondering, does the briefcase push enough air to just be outside??

just the bas wont bounce off anything..

i know it sounds deadly inside..

plus, 100 watts, is tonnes of power

7. Is the PJB Briefcase much better than the Crate TXB50? I see the Briefcase is offered for $599. Is that how much you guys paid for yours?

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Pignose HOG 30 is is $140, small, light, and holds out on the beach with a couple of acoustic guitars.

How long do the batteries last in a briefcase, and how long ya gotta charge em?

9. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia

PJ briefcase is f.... amazing , you can even play outdoor gigs with it , DI is the best i've heard ;)

worth every penny :)

10. 100 watts sounds like a drop in the bucket outside, but i have never used that amp so i dunno

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's an excellent question. The answer depends on what is "enough." Can it compete with a full kit and other battery-amplified guitars? No. Can it help me stand on more or less even footing (with ABG or URB) compared to unamplified acoustic guitars (two) and a fiddle? Yes.

And yes, $599 is the price. But this little amp sounds about a gazillion times better than the Crate. If you are not all that concerned about tone, though, the Crate is an excellent option to consider.

Tom.

12. +1 I had the pleasure of trying Tom's Briefcase out a few weeks ago... very high quality and surprisingly loud... by far the best of the battery amps I've ever heard. The bad news.... it was rather heavy without the battery installed (I played it in AC mode). But.... if you really need an amp with a battery... I think the PJ Briefcase is the one

13. I've read confinlicting information. Does the Briefcase have an internal re-chargeable battery? How long does it take to charge and more importantly how long does it last?

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I asked the same thing and nobody's yet answered.

15. Tom will answer accurately as soon as he drifts back onto the site. I know there is an optional internal battery that you can buy when you purchase the Briefcase. I believe you can buy directly from PJ or get from other sources.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It does not come standard with an internal battery, but the compartment is there, as are the hookups. You can get a 12v gel cell battery for about $20.00. The intial charge time is 6-8 hours, and the playing time is based upon how loud you are playing. Full volume into a 4 ohm load (which is what the internal speakers are rated for), they estimate about 1 hour of playing time, which seems right to me.

You can also hook it up to an external "car batter", though a deep cycle marine battery would probably do the best.

You can check out all this and more in the manual here.

Tom.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio

18. Do you [personally] use an internal battery for outdoor jams or the external [car] battery? Does one last longer than the other? I read through the manual. The rechargeable internal battery sounds like it would be the most convenientfor me. What is a deep cycle marine battery? It isn't possible to hook up an internal and external battery, is it? Thanks so much for your help!

19. What would be wrong with hooking up an internal one, then when that dies (or is about to die), just plug on the external ?

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have only used the internal battery so far, and that was for a very brief session.

A decent car battery would last a lot longer.

Think of it as a car battery on steroids! They are generally a bit more beefy and have more reserve power. They are designed to put out steady power over a longer period of time, as opposed to max cranking amps over a short period of time.

Not at the same time, but as Last of the Mohawkians says, you can just start off with the internal battery, and then go get the car/boat battery when/if the internal one dies.