Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battery Powered Bass Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Straniero, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Straniero

Straniero

Feb 12, 2006
    Hey,

Has anybody tried the Crate TX50DBE or TX50 for bass/upright? I'm desperately looking for the loudest, lightest and ballsiest amp I can find that'll run on batteries.

From the ads it looks like the best, (and almost the only) option.

Thanks,

Mark Di Giuseppe
    "The Straniero"
    www.thestraniero.com

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Here's the one you want:
    http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/SPEAKERS/Briefcase.htm
    [​IMG]

4. Roostor

Roostor

Jul 28, 2005
    I have used the Crate TXB-50 which is the battery powered bass version, and I use it in small venues, it's not a real workhorse, but it works great and recharge is not necessary for about 6 hrs. and it is lightweight (about 30 lbs) enough to enjoy.

Be extremely careful not to put the AC plug in the DC (they are the same size jack) recharging jack as this knocks it out!!! I never use the DC (cigarette lighter) input, so I put a piece of electrical tape over it to keep from making that mistake. Crate should really hang their heads for this snafu.
    Scale of 1 to 10....I give it an 8.

5. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Carvin Stagemate battery powered PA combo that
    works great.

6. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    +1 for the Phil Jones briefcase. Has a great hi-fi sound and does a top rate job with both electric bass and amplifing upright (I've used it for both). The internal battery (not included with purchase) gives about an hour of operation, but the amp can be connected to a 'bigger' battery - such as an auto battery - for longer operations.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 for the Briefcase. It sounds great on upright, but can also handle a low B on electric.

Tom.