1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery powered stand lights

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass Barrister, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I had to play a concert on Saturday nite in a venue that was so dark that I could barely see myself, the other players, and the conductor - forget about the music.

I should have brought a stand light and personaly own enough to outfit a chamber orchestra, but have found that there is NEVER a plug close enough, or an extension cord long enough, to power them. The few battery powered models I've tried in past years have been POSs.

I've heard some reports of folks being very happy with this new Super Giglight made by Lampcraft. It's about $70 but can be used with regular batteries, or fitted with rechargeable batteries or an AC adapter for additional $$. It replaces the older Concerlight which was even more expensive.

Has anyone used his item? Does anyone have other suggestions?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've seen people try to use conventional incandescent book lights. (Lamest invention of all time, IMHO.) Always popping in new batteries, always getting dim towards the end of the gig. (every time...) No, thank you!!

LEDs change everything. Something that can adequately cover a music stand and last dozens of gigs before needing new AAs, that's something I could go for. If I had a more urgent need, I'd be looking for a 2-headed LED reading light.

3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I've tried reading lights, but they didn't have the spread for a page of music.

Look into the GigLight, by LampCraft. It's an bright LED light that is advertised to illuminate a two-page score, but it can cover four pages in a pinch. They have higher-end models, as well.

Battery-operated, or you can get a wall wart for it. See also the Super GigLight; supposed to be four times brighter.

I'm happy with mine.

Michael

4. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I had one of the Mighty Bright Lite models, and I was frustrated that it kept getting turned on in my gig bag. Every time I wanted to use it the batteries were weak or dead. And on top of that it wasn't that bright and I had to redirect it from left to right pages.

I broke down a few weeks ago and bought the Super Gig Light. I've used it on a couple of gigs and it is MUCH brighter than my previous light and does a better job of illuminating two pages.

Relatively expensive compared to the Mighty Brite Light (I think I paid $60 from Amazon) but so far I'm very happy with it.

It takes AA batteries, which I find a little more convenient than the AAA batteries that my other light uses.