Battery Powered Tuners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skin, Dec 16, 2003.

1. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    OK... what battery powered tuners have you had good experience with? I have just about had it with my cheapo Qwik Tune! I like it's size and the LED's, but the digital needle is a pain in low light and the way it loves batteries... the AUTO/MAN mode is good, though.

I want something that doesn't eat batteries, is accurate, easy to work with in full and low light, and won't accidentally turn on at the least touch.

It's gotta exist out there, but why should I experiment when I have the wealth of resources to draw from?

I'm easy- it's what I want for Christmas!!!
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I use the Korg GA20. I am not in low light situations often so I can't say there. I like the rest of it though.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I use the Korg CA-20. It does not have a backlit display, so if it is dark I can see it being harder to read.

I have not been in a situation where it has been too dark to use my tuner accurately. If you do, then I would suggest you do not buy a tuner like mine.

4. makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I've got one of these. Works pretty good... as well as any other tuner I've tried. Mine is black, though.

The lights are nice & bright. The power switch is an on/off slider... it doesn't budge unless you move it on purpose.

Whichever note you are closest to lights up bright red... and the "sharp/flat" arrow lights blink nicely... starting out fast, getting slower and slower till you hit it. At which point a green light in the middle kicks in.

It can be calibrated and adjusted, too. Doesn't say so on the site, but it's in the manual.

Doesn't eat batteries, either. I've even accidentally left it turned on through gigs & even overnight. Haven't had to change one yet.

It's light... can mount it in a rack w/velcro no problem. But it is sturdy. You could throw it at a wall & not hurt it. Unlike the digital Fender tuner it replaced. (Which I couldn't see in the dark.)

Not the fanciest tuner ever, but it works well & I only paid about $30 for it. I've been happy with it. Not bad for the price.

LockOn Tuners
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  6. I use the hand held Korg DT1 tuner.

Works great and is the size of a cassette tape.

7. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    i have a Korg DT-3. Ive had it since 11/26/98 and its still works like a charm. It been beaten up over the years but it still does its job. It the only tuner i have ever had.
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    geez, you'd hate to play specifics :rolleyes: :D

I have a cort guitar tuner, and that has a back-lit display. i like it :D

I know this thread shouldnt be in amps, but i dont know where to move it..:D
  9. Throw it in Effects.

Anyhow, I've had a Seiko ST-727 since I started playing and I still use it for setting intonation--it's really, really accurate. For stage use, I have an Akai Tune Lock that kinda blows, but at least it's got a decent bypass.
  10. I had a Boss Tu-12H for about 3 weeks....but it wouldn't tune the Low B on my 5 stringers too well.

Sold it and got a Boss TU-2 - in my opinion this is the Bees Knees! (You may prefer dogs bollocks or mutts nuts......)
  11. I run a Boss TU-2 stomp tuner in the middle of my signal chain. Even for old dudes with bad eyes, you can see the tuning in the dark, and at feet level.

The TU-2 has no problems at all tuning my (departed) Fender RB5. The 9v battery lasts a reasonable amount of time, several weeks. When not on stage, instrument cables are unplugged. I assume this shuts off the battery circuit, same as an active bass.

You can get an A/C power adapter for the TU-2. This increases floor clutter, so a pedal board might be advised.
  12. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Can't beat the TU-2 for BG or guitar use. Totally gigworthy and accurate, and yeah, old eyes can see it. For tuning DB I use a Korg.
  13. ntistt01

Apr 11, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Sabine STX1500 hands down. I picked mine up used on Ebay for $30. Best tuner that I've ever had.
  14. I had an embarassing experience last week with my GA-30.

I was playing a flamenco duo at a cafe/restaurant and we came in and set up early. I had my WW/Bergie 112 and Zon Sonus 5. I tuned up silently into the Korg GA-30 and all 5 strings needed to be tightened. They were fairly new, but I should have thought about that since the Zon doesn't change much, but in the rush I just made the meter center up nicely and put the bass in the stand and sat down and had a nice dinner before playing.

When we started, I realized I was out of tune with the guitar, and checked with the tuner before the next song, and according to the Korg I was spot on.

I compared an A with the Guitarist, and I was sharp. He insisted he was in tune, and I tuned to him since he is the maestro.

When I got home I checked the tuner against my home one, and realized that I had accidently recalibrated to 442.

Live and learn.

15. I used to have the DT1 korg tuner...

I sold it when I bought my digitech BP200 floor processer, because it's built in chromatic tuner made it kinda obselete. No batteries or light needed.

I'm pretty sure all of the BP-series have a tuner.
  16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's been my experience as well. It's funny, the discriminator will lock onto a low C, but loses it dropping one fret down to the open string.

On occasions when I use that tuner, I tune to the second harmonic when I get to the B string.

On occasions when I'm using my full A rig, though, I just use the tuner that's built into my Zoom 506 II.
  17. My Zoom BFX-708 works great!
  18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I use two tuners. Most of the time I use a Boss TU-2. As everyone has already said, these are just the tool for the job. They work well.

The only other tuner that I use is the one built into the PX3B. I only use the PX3B for practicing at home through headphones.
  19. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Sabine ST1100. I have had this since 1993 it still works perfectly.