Battery powering a Phil Jones Double Four

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CauliColin, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I'm looking at using my Phil Jones double four for busking, but I need a battery to do so. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks!

2. A quick look at the manual indicates that no other power, other than the PJ DC supply should be applied to the DC power input. That would seem to mean, don't power it with a battery or you void the warranty.
    I would recommend that you contact PJ about using a battery.

If you were to do this you will need to know the DC voltage and Max DC power consumption.
    The longer you want to play, the more battery you'll need.
    The louder you want to play the more battery you'll need.

Unfortunately, the weight to power ratio for batteries will far exceed the the weight to power ratio of the amp.
    Meaning, you'll have to lug a lot of, or a big battery for any extended operation and it will be much heavier than the amp.
    Hopefully someone who has crossed the battery threshold will be able to simplify this for you.

3. hooplah

hooplah

Apr 11, 2017
    Phil Jones demonstrates using a battery in this video (around the 4 minute mark)

And here's a comment from an Amazon review of the Double Four:

"But, what really makes the Double 4 stand out over the Bass Cub is that it can be battery powered using a standard laptop charger, albeit one that's powerful enough to keep it going for several hours. And, amongst the various options, I've found two that are just perfect for the job - the "Poweradd Pilot Pro2" and the difficult to find "Lenmar Portable Power for Laptop PPU916" - both of which slide snugly & securely into the carrying handle of the Double 4 to make it a tiny, totally self contained bass amp that almost defies belief in the quality of the sounds it produces."

I found it tricky to get the Lenmar in the UK so I bought the Poweradd Pilot Pro2 and it works great and does indeed last for hours. Had the battery powered Double Four playing outside just last week with no problems.

4. Hi man, how is it with the Poweradd? does it work on 12v or do you need something more?
    Thanks!

hooplah likes this.
  5. hooplah

hooplah

Apr 11, 2017
    Hi. Works great with the Poweradd. I believe 12v is not enough. The Double Four needs 19v or 20v to run which the Poweradd can do. Just plug it into the D4 and it automatically runs at 20v.

6. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    I think the Lenmar PPU916 is no longer being manufactured - but managed to pick a new one up on eBay for $30. One thing to note is the Lenmar has a 16v / 19v slide switch on the side - ya want 19v. I put it in a Case Logic tablet sleeve and it now sits nicely inside the Arriba bag (the bag that PJB sells, Arriba AC115) next to the Double Four. Ready for whatever comes my way. BTW, i am rather new to the Double Four - and love it for what it is. A guitar player friend liked the sound so much he called up PJB (Phil Jones picked up the phone) and bought a PJB acoustic guitar amp.

BlueTalon, Stu_Bass and stephenb923 like this.
  7. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I bought the Lenmar battery by recommendation of Phil Jones. The battery works great, lasts a long time, but be sure to keep it switched to 19v. Also recommended by Phil is to slide the battery into the carry strap, which grips it perfectly. I also bought the Ariba bag on Amazon for $18 a couple of years ago. It's my go to twice a week rehearsal and small gig amp.

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    grjr5ubxgkmhmiuu91yxrws1c8wwwn4w.jpg
    Finally got the Poweradd Pro 2....works like a champ at full volume so far.

jeff7bass and Cherokee Rose like this.
  9. Slurm

Slurm

Jan 9, 2005
    how long are you getting out if these batteries? at a gigable volume. and since they're not really readily available anymore, have you any suggestions for alternatives?

10. kohanmike

I get hours and hours at good volume. I did buy one with more amp hours, but it had some kind of cutoff circuit and kept shutting off.

jweiss likes this.
  11. Roger Ferris

Roger Ferris

Jun 28, 2018
    Hiya - I'm just about to battery up my PJ D4 after reading TalkBass posts including yours. Please could you be a bit more specific 're battery hours playing time also please could you indicate duration of charging time (Poweradd Pilot Pro 2) Your opinion & advice would be very much appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks, Roger

12. kohanmike

The battery has lasted me through six to seven one hour rehearsal sessions with my ukulele group, we meet twice a week. I've never checked the charge time because I plug it in and let it go for the day or overnight. It's fully charged so I can't test it for a while.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    bassface69 likes this.
  13. Roger Ferris

Roger Ferris

Jun 28, 2018
    Excellent, thanks for info & comments. prob approx 4 hours so should fine with poweradd pilot pro 2. Thanks again. Awaiting Amazon delivery.

14. labravajazz

labravajazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Is this the same as lenmar ppu916RS?

15. Roger Ferris

Roger Ferris

Jun 28, 2018
    Thanks for info Kohanmike. Unfortunately I'm led to believe the Lenmar battery has been discontinued so I purchased a Poweradd Pro 2 from Amazon which was recommended from this forum and also has selectable voltage. Really pleased to be able to use PJB double four outdoors. Thanks for helpful info:

Best regards, Roger

16. kohanmike

Yes, that's the one I have.

When I first bought the PJD4, I thought that a higher capacity battery would be better so I bought one on Amazon, turned out it had a limiter circuit that cut off the power when drawing a lot, which constantly happened, so I bought the Lenmar and haven't had a problem since. I'm always amazed at how long it lasts.

17. Shedman2401

Shedman2401

May 1, 2011
    Lug, which end of cable adapter did you use and was there any issue with selecting the correct polarity?

18. Roger Ferris

Roger Ferris

Jun 28, 2018
    Can't go wrong with PowerPad Pilot, automatically selects voltage & Polarity!

Shedman2401 likes this.
  19. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Lucky for me, the supplied cord w/o any adapter works. :D

trickyric likes this.
  20. Ben Halin

Ben Halin

Oct 9, 2017
    Hi guys.
    I bought a pjd4 recently and the poweradd pilot pro 2 .
    It works fine at 20v, 19v and I was even using it today at 16v.
    Just wondering if using it at 16v could somehow be damaging to either unit.
    Any info would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Ben

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021